Brussels - Bruges, MS Gandalf
The best of Flanders.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Guided group tour
Arrival in Brussels
You will find the MS QUO VADIS in Brussels harbour upon arrival. The crew will give you a hearty welcome on board. Take some time to explore the capital of Belgium. Take a walk through the historical city centre, to the gothic town hall, the beautiful guild houses on the Grote Markt and the “Männeken Pis”.
Whilst you are having breakfast, the barge will sail to Vilvoorde. During your first bike tour you will visit Mechelen. The remarkable thing about Mechelen is that there are over 300 listed buildings. 8 of these are churches, within less then 3 square kilometres. Continue through the rolling green countryside, along picturesque villages and large country estates to Willebroek. In the meantime ,the barge will sail along the Willebroek canal to today’s destination.
Today you cycle from Willebroek to Antwerp via Lier. This harbour city on the river Schelde is one of the world's major diamond cities and has many highlights. Make sure to visit the City Hall (one of several majestic buildings constructed in the Renaissance), the historical City Square Grote Market, the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwe cathedral and the medieval Steen Castle. Dinner is in a restaurant of your choice.
On today’s cycle tour you will cycle upstream the river Schelde to Hemiksem. After just a short ascent, the rest of the way to Rupelmonde is easy. Here, where the Rupel flows into the Schelde, you follow the Rupel for a little while and after a few miles you will reach the village Niel, which lies next to the nature reserve Walenhoek. Between Niel and Boom is a historical area where bricks have been made since the Middle Ages. They are still being made today. Continue cycling further along the Rupel until you reach the beautiful city of Dendermonde, the destination of today’s bike tour. A “must” is a short stop for a drink on the beautiful Flemish market square Grote Markt of Dendermonde.
Today's cycle ride goes along the Schelde's embankment. It isn't a long ride before you arrive in the pretty little town of Dendermonde. Make sure to get a coffee at the wonderful Grote Markt. You then continue to Ghent where the barge will be awaiting you.
We recommend that you explore Ghent's old town both by bike and foot. In the Middle Ages, Ghent was the second largest city after Paris. Ghent has kept its historical centre well-maintained meaning that you can see its rich array of architecture.
In the morning you depart to Vinderhoute. Today´s bike tour goes alongside the Gent-Oostende-canal through the Flemish lowlands to Bruges. The “Venice of the North” is well-known throughout Europe as an art and museum city. The old city with its numerous canals is part of the UNESCO world cultural heritage. Take your time to explore the lively atmosphere around Grote market.
You cycle via Damme, which is a small city and Till Eulenspiegel's birth place. You will also go past Groot Ter Doest where Ter Doest abbey is located and which is definitely worth a vist. You then arrive in Lissewege, which is the "most beautiful village in Flanders“. You will see white houses that are located on both sides of the small canals and surrounding the impressive church. Afterwards you continue to the seaside resort Blankenberge. The long beach with numerous cafes is a great place to take a rest. After about 2 hours, you return to Bruges.
After breakfast it is time to disembark. Please leave no later than 9.30am. You then journey home as arranged by you.
A tour for 'fair-weather cyclists' - this tour is suitable for everyone with an average level of fitness. The route mainly goes along tarmac bike paths, agricultural roads but also along field and forest paths. There are short sections that go along busier and faster roads. The route is mainly flat but there are hills sometimes.
Guided and self-guided bike tours: The guided tours are finalised by your guide depending on the ability of the group. Those on self-guided tours get route books, which they can collect from the boat upon arrival. You will cycle approx. 40 - 60km each day. All of the mentioned distances are approximations of the recommended routes.
- Program according to itinerary on the MS Quo Vadis
- 7 nights stay in an outer cabin with shower/toilet in the booked cabin category
- Full board: breakfast, small lunch or packed lunch for your bike tours, coffee and tea in the afternoon, three-course dinner
- Welcome drink
- Daily cleaning of cabins
- Linen and change of towels if required
- All harbour, bridge and lock fees
- Daily bike tour briefing
- Local tour guide on guided bike tours; self-guided trips with route book (available on board)
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Bruges station (Stationsplein) is about 3 km away from the pier
- Brussels North station (Gare du Nord`) is about 5 km form the pier
- Car parks are available in Bruges and Brussels. In Brussels at the train station "Gare du Nord“ it costs about €15 per day, a reservation is not possible. In Bruges at the car park “Stationsplein (train station) it costs about €4 per day. Reservation is not possible.
- Return journey by train to Bruges or Brussels for about €18 per person.
Number of participants:
- Minimum of 15 people until 21 days before arrival
- EU citizens need a valid passport or an ID-Card.
- Further important information according to the package travel law and additional information about your bike and boat trip can be found here!
This tour has 1 more variation
On this bicycle- and shiptour you can experience rivers, hanseatic cities, and fisher towns. The nights you spend on de familiary MS Gandalf.