Passau - Budapest - Passau, MS Carissima
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Embark at 4.30pm. Located at the confluence of the Danube, Inn and Ilz, Passau has numerous interesting sites to visit. Use your free time and stroll through the cobblestoned old town centre, listen to the bells of Passau’s Gothic Town Hall or have a look at the world’s largest Catholic Church organ in the Passau Cathedral. At 6.00pm. the boat gets going! Passau's beautiful old town slowly disappears into the distance.
Your first day’s tour begins with a ride through the classic scenery of the ‘Great Loop’ Donauschlinge - one of the most beautiful sections of the Danube. Along the way you will encounter tiny villages and cozy cider taverns. In Austria’s only Trappist monastery at Engelhartszell you can taste their delicious liquors and cheese. The famous ‘Schlogener View’ provides a wonderful panorama of the surrounding Austrian countryside. The boat welcomes all cyclists back on board in the charming market town of Aschach. The boat will cruise through the night.
You pedal along the former ‘Iron Curtain’ on a little cycle path and you will arrive at Hof's imposing Imperial Palace with its beautifully terraced gardens. Follow the bike path through Austria’s ‘vegetable garden’ to the coronation city of Bratislava and the slopes of the Little Carpathian. Discover the hidden alleyways and sights of Bratislava on an optional city tour.
Arrival by boat to Budapest, Hungary's capital, is stunning. Savour the beauty of Budapest during a coach tour or a guided bike tour (optional) to discover many of the highlights of this beautiful city. You can also choose to cycle to the charming town of Szentendre with its Mediterranean atmosphere and lively art scene. You will get a very close experience of Hungarian culture at an evening show with traditional music and dance (optional).
Situated in the middle of the Danube River, the idyllic isle of Szentendre exudes silent Puszta romance. History, folklore and the Hungarian way of life will accompany you on your way to Esztergom where the gorgeous basilica – Hungary’s largest Catholic Church always impresses its guests.
Vienna(day of rest)
Discover Vienna's most beautiful attractions. During a city tour by bike or bus (optional) you will experience Vienna’s most famous examples of architecture: the imperial Hofburg, St. Stephens Cathedral, the gorgeous ‘Ring’-boulevard and the State Opera House, the Burgtheater and town hall and, of course, the colorful "Hundertwasserhaus". Take time to relax in one or more of Vienna’s famous cafés, while the evening ends impressively at a classical concert (optional) in one of Vienna‘s most famous palaces.
Your last bike ride on this tour is a special highlight! A powerful ruin looms above the small Baroque town of Durnstein, while the blue spire of the monastery church is a landmark of the renowned Wachau Valley. Amidst dreamy towns, apricot trees, vineyards and castles, this hilly landscape enchants everybody who visits ... you will be biking on cloud nine! In Weißenkirchen (possibility to do a wine-tasting – optional) you will find comfortable wine taverns along the bike path.
As you cruise back up the Danube enjoy the early morning sunshine on the as you wind your way back to Passau, where you’ll disembark at approx. 10.00am. We recommend that any connecting travel should be booked for 11.30am onwards to allow some contingency time.
The cycle route is mainly flat with just slight inclines. It is well-suited for hobby cyclists, beginners and children. Between Passau and Bratislava the Danube cycle route has been fully upgraded. If you don't fancy cycling on any day then you can simply travel to the day's destination on the boat instead.
- 7 overnight stays in outside cabins with private facilities and air-condition
- Port charges
- Program according to itinerary from/to Passau
- Captain's welcome and welcome cocktail
- Daily cabin cleaning, towels and bed linen
- Full board: breakfast buffet, small lunch or packed lunch for your bike tour, coffee in the afternoon, dinner (2/3 dishes to choose), late night snack
- 1 Gala Dinner with farewell cocktail
- Farewell crew show
- Daily live music
- Cruise director on board (does not cycle with the group)
- Daily information meeting
- Detailed roadbook per cabin
Relax Package dates:
05.05., 19.05., 02.06., 23.06., 14.07., 11.08., 01.09., 15.09., 29.09.
- Cycling tour guide
- Homemade cider tasting at a cider producer in the Upper Danube Valley
- Ferry rides
- Guided city tour by bike in Vienna & by HOP ON HOP OFF bus in Budapest
- Wine tasting with a local wine grower
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Parking space (fenced area) incl. transfer parking space – boat – parking space € 66,- (Application form in your travel documents or online, payable locally)
- Covered parking incl. transfers from park garage – boat – park garage € 77,- (Application form in your travel documents or online, payable locally)
- Transfer from Munich airport – Passau harbour about € 69,- one way, about € 119,- airport – harbour – airport, per person, a reservation is necessary
Number of participants:
- Minimum of 50 people
- Guided Comfort Relax Package: Minimum 8 people (max. 22)
- Further important information according to the package travel law and additional information about your bike and boat trip can be found here!
This tour has 6 more variations
The first thing you´ll experience when boarding on the MS Primadonna is the friendly atmosphere and the coziness of this river ship.