Hanseroute, MS Lena-Maria
Hanseatic Tour by bike & boat
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Guided group tour
You can embark the boat and check in between 2 and 3pm in Amsterdam. The crew will give you a warm welcome aboard. At about 3pm, the barge will leave Amsterdam to sail along the Amsterdam-Rhine Canal to Wijk bij Duurstede on the Rhine where you will spend your first night.
While you are enjoying breakfast, the barge will sail to Wageningen where you will be handed your bicycle and you will then finally set off by bike through the Rhine's picturesque valley. Along the way you will visit the protected nature reserve “De Blauwe Kamer” (the Blue Chamber), followed by the woods and moorlands of Veluwe National Park. The 5400 hectare park is home to many plant and animal species and, importantly, the Kröller-Müller Museum, the largest private Van Gogh collection in the world. Late in the day you pedal through the suburbs and past lovely parks such as Sonsbeek and Zijpendaal to Arnhem, where you spend the night close to the city centre.
Doesburg – Vorden – ZutphenBy boat Arnhem – Doesburg, approx. 35-55 km. By boat Zutphen – Deventer
Today’s cycle tour takes you along the Hanseatic Town Route to the small village of Doesburg and then along the IJssel to Bronkhorst, which is recognised as the smallest town in Holland. Guests will have two choices today – a shorter tour along the riverbank to Zutphen; or a longer bicycle trip via Vorden passing country houses, castles and rural estates. Over dinner the barge will sail to Deventer where you have the option of a short guided walking tour in the evening.
This morning you will enjoy a short bicycle ride along the IJssel riverbank before boarding a ferry at Wijhe to cross the river to Hattem. The 800-year-old town of Hattem has a rich history that is still clearly visible today. Guests have the opportunity, if they want, to stretch their legs with a longer bicycle trip through east Veluwe. Over dinner the ship will sail to Kampen where you have the opportunity to go on an optional guided walking tour in the largest Hanseatic town in the Netherlands.
In the morning the barge will sail to the IJssel estuary and across the so-called border lakes of the IJssel to the fishing harbour of Harderwijk. In the 1500s Harderwijk boasted the largest fish market in the Zuiderzee region and is still a fascinating old city to explore. From Harderwijk you will cycle along Veluwe lake where swimming, boating, surfing and fishing are favourite summertime activities. The longest cycle trip on the tour also takes in the woods and moorland at Elspeet. The night will be spent in Harderwijk’s lovely old fishing harbour.
Today guests have two cycling choices: a short pedal along the coast or a combination of the coast route and a longer alternative that also takes in adjacent woodlands. The night will be spent in Spakenburg, a village well-known for its traditional costumes.
Once again guests have a choice to make this morning. After breakfast you can cycle to Huizen or, if you prefer to take things easier, you can enjoy the scenery from the comfort of the barge. From Huizen you will cycle to the beautiful fortress towns of Naarden and Muiden, famous for a historic castle. From Muiden you will cycle along quiet roads to your final destination, the world famous city of Amsterdam. The afternoon and evening are spent in Amsterdam. While you are there take the opportunity to visit Anne Frank’s home, the Rembrandt House Museum, the Royal Palace of Amsterdam, Dam Square, the very centre and heart of the city or maybe you could go on a canal tour (not included).
Departure or extension
After breakfast it it time to disembark. The tour has come to an end.
On this tour you cycle between 30 and 60km each day. Pretty much all of the tours are easy and you go along well-signed cycle paths!
|Jun 9, 2018
|Jun 16, 2018
|Jun 23, 2018
|Jun 30, 2018
|Jul 7, 2018
|Sep 1, 2018
|Sep 8, 2018
|Sep 15, 2018
- Program according to itinerary from/to Amsterdam
- 7 overnight stays outer in cabins with shower/WC in the booked cabin category
- Full board: breakfast buffet, small lunch or lunch package for bike tours, coffee and tea until 4pm, 3-course-dinner
- Welcome drink
- Daily briefing of bike tours
- 1 route book for self-guided tours per cabin
- Tour guide for guided cycle trips
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Amsterdam train station is close to the pier
- Oosterdok multi-storey car park: Costs approx. €15/day and is by the main station
- Amsterpark (multi-storey car park) or valet parking services: registration form in the travel documents, approx. €150 per week, pay there
Number of participants
- Minimum of 14 people
- Program and details are subject to change due to nautical and meteorological reasons (this is no reason for a free cancellation).
- Please note that space in the cabins is limited. You should definitely bring good a good rain coat and waterproof trousers, a bike helmet, a sun hat, sunscreen and sports shoes with you.
- Dietary requirements or vegetarian food can be provided upon request. Surcharge is €25 per person/week (pay there). Please inform us at the time of booking your booking.
MS Lena Marie
The Lena Maria is a very comfortable ship, ideal for “bike and barge tours” in the Netherlands and Belgium.