Passau - Budapest - Passau, MS Arkona
Blue Danube Waltz
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Passau – Engelhartszell
Arrival in the "Three River City". Passau attracts lots of visitors because the world's greatest church organ is there in the Stephansdom. Passau also has a very charming historical centre. Embarkation will be around 4:30 p.m., departure around 7 p.m. Enjoy your first dinner on board and an evening sail to Engelhartszell.
The day starts in Engelhartszell (where there is the only Trappist monastery in Austria). From there, we head towards the "Great Loop" - one of the most beautiful and original sectors of the Danube river. You will go past small villages and cosy must-see taverns on your cycle tour. You'll board again in Brandstatt. Then, you "sail into the night" towards Devin.
Arrival in Devin in the morning. The cycle tour takes you to the imposing Imperial Palace of Hof. After crossing the green line you cycle along the former “Iron Curtain” towards the coronation city of Bratislava at the foot of the Carpathian Mountains. During a tour by mini train and by foot in the evening (optional) you can discover hidden alleys, places and all the sights of Bratislava, an ambitious metropolis. In the night the boat will move on to Budapest.
In the early morning, you can enjoy the panoramic view of the Danube's gorgeous landscape from the sun deck. The gateway to Budapest is overwhelming, as many of the famous tourist features are situated directly next to the river bank. In the afternoon you can explore the city on a city tour by coach and by foot (optional). Nearby, you find the Margaretheninsel, which is an outstanding place for a small bike tour. The charming town of Szentendre with its Mediterranean atmosphere and lively art life is also worth a visit. In the evening you can enjoy Budapest by night on a folklore program (opt.) In the night, the boat moves on to Visegrad.
The Danube bend is definitely one of most delightful and attractive parts and is called the Hungarian Wachau. Today's bike ride starts at Visegrad with its famous fortress and the ruins of the former palace. You can choose from two different routes. The longer one includes a side trip to the island of Szentendre and the baroque village of Vác, which has been influenced by the architects of the Austrian empress Maria Theresia. The other route leads you directly to the bishop town of Esztergom with its gorgeous basilica – Hungary's largest Catholic Church – overlooking the village. In the night the boat moves on to Vienna.
You should be sure to see the most famous sights like St. Stephens Cathedral and the Hofburg. You can take a city tour by bike or by coach/foot (optional, not included). The gorgeous boulevard "Ringstraβe" with the Burgtheater, the State Opera House and the town hall takes you back to the past. The evening ends impressively with a Waltz and Operetta concert (optional, not included). In the nigh, the boat moves on to Rossatz or Dürnstein (Wachau).
Your last day's cycle tour is a special highlight! Amidst small dreamy villages, apricot trees, vineyards, castles, monasteries and ruins, this gentle hilly landscape enchants everybody. A powerful ruin looms above the small Baroque town of Dürnstein, while the blue tower of the monastery church is a landmark of Wachau. In Spitz (possibility for a wine-tasting – optional) you will find cosy wine taverns right alongside the bike path. You owe it to yourself to take a break! You’ll board the boat again in Pöchlarn, a small village. After the farewell gala dinner, you start “sailing” back to Passau.
Every journey draws to an end. Once again you can enjoy the first sunbeams and the peaceful silence of the Danube Valley on deck. Take a last look at the Schlögener Schlinge ("Great Loop") before you arrive nice and relaxed in Passau. Arrival: approx at 10am. Disembark half an hour later. We recommend to arrange connecting trips from noon onwards in case there is a delay.
A flat and sometimes slightly downhill route. All in all a relaxed cycle tour that is suitable for beginners and children.
|Jun 4, 2018
|Jun 18, 2018
|Jul 2, 2018
|Jul 16, 2018
|Jul 30, 2018
|Aug 13, 2018
|Aug 27, 2018
|Sep 10, 2018
- 7 nights in outside cabins with own WC/toilet and air conditioning
- Program according to itinerary from/to Passau
- Welcome and farewell drink
- Daily cabin cleaning
- Changing of towels and bed cloths if desired
- Full meals: breakfast, light lunch on board (non cyclists) or packed lunch for cyclists, afternoon coffee break, dinner
- Live music every day
- Daily informational meeting
- 1 information pack with route book per cabin
- Tour guide on board (does not cycle with group)
- Harbour fees included
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Passau main station: about 5 km away from the pier
- Parking space (fenced area) incl. transfer parking space – boat – parking space € 63 per week
- Park garage incl. transfer park garage – boat – park garage €74 per week (Application form in your travel documents, payable there)
Number of participants
- Min. 50 people
- Timetable and program are subject to change. At times of extreme flooding or low water the boat company reserves the right to transport you by bus or to cancel the whole tour. There is no demand against that (water level is subject to force majeure clause). This is also the case for unforeseeable incidents like the reparation of a water gate/bridge or in case of the boat's engine breaking down.
- Please keep in mind that your boat is your hotel on the one hand and your motor-driven method of transport on the other hand. It has to move on at night as well. If you are sensitive to noise, please bring earplugs with you.
This tour has 1 more variant
The MS Arkona is being completely refurbished during the winter of 2017/2018. The modern and elegant atmosphere aboard the vessel will make your journey a relaxed experience.