Passau - Vienna - Passau, MS Arkona
Beautiful Blue Danube
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Passau – Engelhartszell
Arrival to Passau as organised by you. This Episcopal city close to the Bavarian/Austrian border is also known as the "City of three Rivers" as the Inn Ilz and Danube all meet here. You may aboard the boat at 4:30 pm. The boat will depart at around 7pm. Enjoy your first dinner on board and an evening sail to Engelhartszell. You will arrive there at about 9pm.
Boat ride to Linz. Town tour with the Linz City Express (optional)
Engelhartszell is worth a visit because of its monastery, which is famous because of its church that has been lovingly renovated. But it is also famous for its herbal liqueurs, which are said to have "special healing powers". From Engelhartszell you cycle downstream. The way leads you past pretty villages and amid natural lanscape. To mix things up a bit, you can take the little ferry boat through the romantic Schlögener loop, where the river makes a very abrupt 180 degree turn (optional). From Untermühl you take the boat to Linz. After dinner, you can have a ride on the bright yellow City Express (optional, not included) and disover Linz, the capital of Upper Austria (approx. 30 minutes)
Boat ride from Linz to Mauthausen. 1 hour tour around Greinburg Castle
In the early morning you travel to Mauthausen by boat. You have the possibility to visit Mauthausen concentration camp memorial in the morning. The Celtic village in Mitterkirchen gives you a great insight into the past. The easy bike route runs alongside the Danube. For those sportier cyclists, we recommend that you cycle via Clam Castle through Straudengau's beautiful back country. This route is slightly hilly, but has fantastic scenery. Today's destination is Grein, home of Greinburg castle, which is Austria's oldest residential castle (optional, not included).
Boat ride Melk - Tulln
Today's stage is marked by a diverse landscape. At the beginning, there is the Strudengau – a narrow point of the Danube which used to be notorious amongst skippers. The valley expands from Persenbeug and the bike tour takes you to Melk where there is a gorgeous Benedictine baroque monastery. On deck, you can enjoy the sunset and the beautiful evening illumination of the Wachau. Today's final destination is Tulln, famous for its numerous market gardens where the famous Art Nouveau artist Egon Schiele was born (museum).
The bike tour through the Danube bend takes you on a trip through the history of Hungary too. You cycle from the former King's residence through the picturesque, slight hilly Hungarian Wachau landscape to Esztergom where the gorgeous basilica towers over the medieval quarter. You have two cycle rides to choose between today. The longer option includes a diversion to Szentendre island and to the baroque town Vác. The shorter route goes directly to Esztergom. The boat moves on to Vienna during the night.
ViennaDay of rest
Vienna tour by bike (optional), Waltz and Opera evening (optional)
Today you get to explore Vienna, a very lively city by bicycle (optional). You will go past the famous sights like St. Stephens Cathedral and the Hofburg. The gorgeous boulevard "Ringstraße" with the Burgtheater, the State Opera House and the town hall takes you back in time. In the afternoon there is plenty of time to go for a stroll or to visit one of the famous Viennese cafes. The evening ends with a Waltz and Operetta concert (optional, not included). In the night, the boat moves on to Dürnstein or Rossatz in the Wachau.
Wine tasting (optional)
Your last day's cycling is a special highlight! Amidst small dreamy villages, apricot trees, vineyards, castles, monasteries and ruins, this gentle hilly landscape enchants everybody. The blue tower on the monastery church in Dürnstein is a true landmark in Wachau. In Spitz (possibility for wine tasting – optional), you will find comfy wine taverns right along the bike path. You owe it to yourself to take a break! In the evening there is a farewell dinner and cocktail. The boat moves on to Passau in the night.
Every journey draws to an end. For the last time on this holidays, you can enjoy the first sunbeams on deck again in the morning and the peaceful silence of the Danube Valley. Take a last look at the Schlögener Schlinge ("Great Loop") before you arrive nice and relaxed in Passau. Arrival is about 10 am. Please disembark within 30 minutes of arrival. We recommend to arrange onward travel from noon onwards.
The well-built Danube cycle path is flat, or slightly downhill and is therefore perfect for beginners or for families with children.
- 7 nights stay in outside cabins with shower/WC and air conditioning
- Programme according to itinerary from/to Passau
- Welcome and farewell drink
- Daily cabin cleaning
- Changing of towels and bed cloths if desired
- Full meals: breakfast, light lunch on board (non cyclists) or packed lunch for cyclists, afternoon coffee break, dinner
- Daily live music
- Daily informational meeting
- Information pack with route book (one per cabin)
- Tour guide on board (does not cycle with group)
- Harbour fees included
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Passau main station: about 5 km from the pier
- Parking space (fenced area) incl. transfer parking space – boat – parking space € 63 per week
- Parking garage incl. transfer park garage – boat – park garage €74 per week (Application form in your travel documents, pay there)
Number of participants
- min. 50 people
- Timetable and program are subject to change. At times of extreme flooding or low water the boat company is allowed to transport you by bus or to cancel the whole tour. There is no demand against that (water level is subject to force majeure clause). This is also valid for unforeseeable incidents like the reparation of a water gate/bridge or if the boat's engine were to breakdown.
- Please keep in mind that your boat is your hotel on the one hand and your motor-driven method of transport on the other hand. It has to move on at night as well. If you are sensitive to noise, please bring earplugs with you.
This tour has 1 more variant
The MS Arkona is being completely refurbished during the winter of 2017/2018. The modern and elegant atmosphere aboard the vessel will make your journey a relaxed experience.