Mainz - Strasbourg, MS Arlene II
By bike & barge along the Rhine from Mainz to Strasbourg
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Arrival in Mainz
Individual arrival to Mainz. You can embark the boat between 3 and 5pm. There may be time to explore Rhineland-Palatinate's capital with its lovingly restored half-timbered houses and the Romanesque Cathedral of Saint Martin!
Today's cycle ride is short, which leaves you plenty of free time to enjoy yourself. Cycle on the Rhine Cycle Route with its well-paved cycle ways directly alongside the Rhine to Nierstein. With almost 1,000 hectares of viticulture area, Nierstein is home to the largest wine-growing community along the Rhine. Visit the historic old town with its medieval market square and the noble houses. In the afternoon, sail from Nierstein to Worms. Guests, who would like to cycle a longer stretch, can start the cycle ride in Mainz. (Cycle tour Mainz-Worms approx. 60 km).
You start today's cycle ride In the imperial city of Worms. From Mannheim, you follow the course of the marvellous Neckar River up to Heidelberg. The Roman city of Ladenburg with its historic old town is well worth a visit. The ruin of Heidelberg Castle can be spotted from afar as it towers over the city of Heidelberg, today’s destination. Admire Heidelberg's famous red sandstone bridge or take a stroll through the narrow lanes and see the picturesque squares.
Today you cycle via Eppelheim and Plankstadt through the core of the Electoral Palatinate region. You will be partially following the Castle Road. Schwetzingen Castle and its gorgeous castle garden is just one reason to visit this charming town. From there the route leads you to Mannheim, today’s destination. Almost all sights of the city, like the water tower and Mannheim Baroque Palace, are only a few minutes walking distance away from the city centre and are well worth visiting.
Today's route goes past many oxbow lakes from the Old Rhine on the way to today’s destination – the cathedral city of Speyer. Enjoy the short bike ride past marvellous lakes, through unspoilt nature, areas that are designated Natural Nature Reserves and natural flood plains. The Speyer Cathedral was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1981.
By bike you continue your way through the Palatinate region past oxbow lakes and untouched nature today. Look forward to visiting the old fortified town of Germersheim with its numerous picturesque lanes, corners and squares. From here, the way leads to Karlsruhe, a city with a unique atmosphere. It has got a baroque palace in the city centre but it also has a botanic garden and an abundance of parks, lakes and woods.
In the morning, the ship sets sail for Gambsheim. On your last cycle ride on this trip, you cycle at a relaxed pace right alongside the river through the gentle Rhine plain until you reach Strasbourg, the capital of Alsace with its countless canals.Take a stroll to the Strasbourg Minster, the landmark of the city, through the picturesque tanners’ quarter with its small historic half-timbered houses and enjoy a piece of French lust for life at the end of this week's holidays.
After breakfast it is time to disembark. Please do so before 9am. Individual journey home.
This tour runs along good quality cycle routes, which are usually paved or asphalted. The paths run alongside the Rhine dikes and there are no noteworthy hills. This means that the cycle tour is even suitable for novices.
- 7 nights in outside cabin with shower/WC in the booked category
- Programme according to itinerary from Cologne to Mainz
- Welcome drink
- Full board (breakfast, packed lunch for cycle tours or lunch snack, coffee and tea in the afternoon, three-course dinner
- Daily cabin cleaning
- Change of bedding and towels when required
- Passenger and port fees
- Daily briefing on board for the respective cycle tour
- Tour guide on board
- Maps and information material 1x per cabin
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Mainz station, approx. 3 km from the pier
- Car park at Mainz station (unguarded, cannot be booked in advance). Parking costs approx. € 10 per day.
Number of participants
- Minimum of 50 people
- Timetable and program are subject to change. A times of extreme flooding or low water the boat company reserves the right to transport you by bus or to cancel the whole tour. There is no demand against that (water level is subject to force majeure clause). This is also the case for unforeseeable incidents like the reparation of a water gate/bridge or in case of the boat's engine were to break down.
- Please keep in mind that your boat is your hotel on the one hand and your motor-driven transport on the other hand. It has to move on at night as well. If you are sensitive to noise, please bring earplugs with you.
This tour has 5 more variants
MS Arlene II
The comfortable MS ARLENE II provides the right ambience to make you feel at ease. The ship is being completely refurbished and upgraded in the winter of 2017/2018.