Coblenz - Bad Wimpfen, MS Patria
Rhine and Neckar.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Arrival in Coblenz
Embark from 4pm onwards. The MS Patria is located in the Coblenz harbour. The captain and his crew will warmly welcome you on board. Tip: Go for a stroll through the old city.
In the morning you will cruise on the MS Patria to Boppard in the Upper Middle Rhine Valley, which belongs to UNESCO! After gettting your rental bikes, you cycle on the left side of the Rhine river past castles and fortresses and through the valley of Lorelei to Rüdesheim! Overnight stay in Rüdesheim (Drosselgasse) or Bingen.
Today you cycle along the beautiful banks of the Rhine river through Rheingau (Rhine district) and Eltville to Mainz. You can also choose to ride along the quieter left side of the river to Mainz. There you have many sights: churches, museums, fountains and monuments. Some of the most important ones are the Dome, Electoral Palace, State Theatre and Citadel of Mainz but there are also many more!
You cycle via Laubenheim to Nierstein, the biggest vine growing community on the river Rhine, where you will enjoy your lunch on board. Nierstein is a popular destination for exploring the vineyards with a tractor wagon.
In the late morning, the boat brings you past Worms to Mannheim. You can then cycle to the Celtic city of Ladenburg, where you will see the Neckar river for the first time. A short ride along the river and you will arrive in Heidelberg where your boat will be awaiting you. You should plan to go for a stroll in Heidelberg in the late afternoon and we highly recommend that you visit the palace. You have the possibility to go on a city tour too (optional).
From Heidelberg you cycle via Ziegelhausen and through Odenwald to Neckarstein. Going via Hirschhorn, you will arrrive at the old city of Eberbach, which is today’s destination. Enjoy the cheerful life of this city during a stroll through the angular alleys and small squares.
Optional: Guided city tour with a night watchman, who will show you "his" city.
After breakfast, you shall cycle to fortress Hornberg. This fortress is one of the most beautiful fortresses in the Neckar valley. Bad Wimpfen, the final destination on this tour is a medieval city of dreams and was also home for emperor Friedrich I. Barbarossa in 1182.
After breakfast: individual departure from Bad Wimpfen.
The bike paths are all very good quality. Most of the time you will cycle on roads with no or very little traffic. When not on roads, you will be on tarmac bike paths right by the river bank. There are no noteworthy ascents. This tour is suitable for untrained cyclists. All mentioned distances are approximations of the recommended bike tours.
- Program according to tour itinerary
- 7 overnight stays in cabins with shower/toilet in the booked cabin category
- Full board: breakfast buffet, packed lunch for day cyclists or lunch snack on board, coffee and cake in the afternoon, 3 or 4 course dinner
- Welcome drink
- Daily cleaning of cabins
- Linen and change of towels if required
- All harbour, bridge and lock fees
- Daily briefing of bike tours on board
- 1 route book per cabin for self-guided trips
- Tour guidance on board
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Coblenz main station: about 3 km from the pier
- Parking in Coblenz: Public car park near the landing stage in Coblenz costs about € 125 per week. Also park & ride parking spaces for free. By public bus into the city. No reservation possible.
- Return journey to Coblenz: Train takes 3.5 hours for about €45 (bookable there) or by minibus (minimum 4 people) for €85 per person. Transfer of your own bike costs €15 per bike. Limited space available, a reservation when booking the tour is necessary. To be paid there.
Number of participants:
- 40 people
- Further important information according to the package travel law and additional information about your bike and boat trip can be found here!
This tour has 1 more variation
Enjoy the comfort on the swimming hotel - the MS Patria. You cycle along the great rivers Moselle and Saar.