Rotterdam - Cologne, MS Arlene II
Along the Lower Rhine from Rotterdam to Cologne
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Arrival in Rotterdam
Embark the boat in Rotterdam between 3 and 5pm. Enjoy your first evening on board or have a stroll through the city of Rotterdam where Europe’s largest port is located.
Today you start by cycling along the Maas River until you reach Kinderdijk, which boasts the most famous windmills in the Netherlands. The 19 windmills, which date back to the 18th century, are beautifully preserved and are listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Continue the cycle tour and after a short while, you reach today’s destination - Dordrecht. Holland's oldest town is located on an island that is bordered by large rivers and that is characterised by numerous historic buildings, city ports and a fantastic atmosphere.
On today’s cycle trip, you leave behind the lively cities and dive into the quietness of nature. Pass through the national park of De Biesbosch, an adventurous labyrinth composed of rivers with crystal clear water and small islands. It is one of very few tidal freshwater zones worldwide.
Leave the fortified city of Gorinchem behind and enjoy a bike ride through the unspoilt nature. Follow the River Linge, a tributary of the Rhine until you reach today’s destination Wijk bij Duurstede. This place is located on the edge of the "Utrecht Hill Ridge“. This is a tree-covered ridge of low sands created, which was created during the last glacial period.
Whilst you are having breakfast, the ship will set sail. After a short trip, you reach Rhenen – the starting point for today's cycle ride. Cycle along the Lower Rhine past the embankment foreland until you arrive in Arnheim. A detour to the city centre transports you back in time due to its narrow lanes and picturesque buildings!
In the early morning, the ship takes you over the German-Dutch border. You start today’s cycle ride in Emmerich and you cycle past the Reeser Schanz nature reserve and the Roman city of Xanten. Today’s destination is Wesel, a hanseatic city with numerous remnants of the Prussian past. It is situated on the confluence of the Lippe and Rhine rivers.
In the morning you will already have reached Düsseldorf where you will start your last cycle tour along the well-developed adventure trail "Rheinschiene“. This is a particularly attractive section where historic old towns and idyllic nature are interspersed with industrial heritage. The towns located directly on the Rhine, often boasting well preserved medieval town walls and towers, are well worth a detour. Eventually you will reach the Cathedral city of Cologne where the vivid riverbank of the Rhine invites you for a stay. Enjoy a cosy evening on board or have a Kölsch, the typical beer from Cologne, in one of the numerous pubs.
Departure from Cologne
After breakfast it is time to disembark. Please do so after 9am.
This tour is predominantly flat and runs along good quality cycle paths, which are mainly asphalted. You even cycle along the Rhine dikes . The characteristics of the tour mean that it is suitable for novices as well as confident cyclists.
- 7 nights stay in outer cabinswith shower/WC in the booked category
- Program according to itinerary
- Full board (breakfast buffet, packed lunch on bike tours or lunch snack on board, coffe afternoon coffee/tea, 3 course dinner)
- Daily cabin cleaning
- Linen and towels provided - change of towels upon request
- Passenger and harbour fees
- Daily bike tour briefings on board
- 1 set of maps and information material per cabin
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Rotterdam main station is about 3 km away from the pier
- Park & Ride is approx. 4-10 km away from the boat. It costs approx. €20/day
Number of participants
- min. 80 people
- Timetable and program are subject to change. At times of extreme flooding or low water the boat company reserves the right to transport you by bus or to cancel the whole tour. There is no demand against that (water level is subject to force majeure clause). This is also the case for unforeseeable incidents like the reparation of a water gate/bridge or in case the boat's engine were to break down.
- Please keep in mind that your boat is your hotel on the one hand and your motor-driven transport on the other hand. It has to move on at night as well. If you are sensitive to noise, please bring earplugs with you.
This tour has 5 more variants
MS Arlene II
The comfortable MS ARLENE II provides the right ambience to make you feel at ease. The ship is being completely refurbished and upgraded in the winter of 2017/2018.