Strasbourg - Mainz, MS Arlene II
Travel from Strasbourg to Mainz by bike & barge
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Embarkation in Strasbourg from 3:00 – 5:00am. There may be time to explore the capital of the Alsace with its many canals.
This morning, take a leisurely cycle through Strasbourg and enjoy the French lust for life before you ride directly alongside the Rhine through the gentle Rhine plain up to Gambsheim. From there, the ship takes you to Karlsruhe, a city with a unique atmosphere. With the Baroque Palace right in the core of the city centre, the botanic garden and over 1,000 Hectare of public parks, lakes and woods, Karlsruhe is a “city in the green“.
Today’s cycle stretch leads along the oxbow lakes through seemingly unspoilt nature. Look forward to visiting the old fortified town of Germersheim with its many picturesque lanes, corners and squares. Continuing through the Palatinate land, you reach the cathedral city of Speyer. Speyer Cathedral was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1981.
Enjoy a short cycle ride alongside the Old Rhine, past marvellous lakes, through untouched protected areas designated as National Nature Reserves and natural flood plains. You reach Mannheim, also called the “City of Squares” due to its layout in a grid-pattern. In these squares, countless places are well worth visiting as for example the famous Mannheim Baroque Palace – German largest Baroque palace complex and the water tower – the city’s landmark.
Today the tour leads through the core of the Electoral Palatinate and thus partly along the Castle Road. Schwetzingen Castle and its castle garden are only two reasons to visit the charming town of Schwetzingen. From here, the route continues via Plankstadt and Eppelheim to Heidelberg. Already visible from afar, the castle ruin of Heidelberg Castle towers over the Old Town. Admire the famous Heidelberg red sandstone bridge or stroll through meandering lanes and see the picturesque squares in the Old Town.
You leave the history-charged Heidelberg and follow the course of the Neckar River. The Roman city of Ladenburg with its historic Old Town is well worth a stop-off. After Mannheim, you will be back on the Rhine and follow its course until you reach the imperial city of Worms. On your journey through two millenniums of the city’s history, learn about emperors and kings, myths and legends of the Nibelung, Judaism and Martin Luther.
With almost 1,000 Hectare of viticultural area, Nierstein is home to the largest wine-growing community on the Rhine. The historic Old Town with its medieval market square and noble houses is also well worth visiting. A short stretch that leaves plenty of time for one to indulge oneself: cycle on the Rhine Cycle Route on well-paved cycle ways directly alongside the Rhine from Nierstein to Mainz. Guests, who would like to cycle a longer stretch, can also choose to start the cycle tour already in Worms. (cycle tour Worms-Mainz approx. 60 km).
After breakfast disembarkation until 09:00am. Individual journey home.
This bike tour runs along excellent cycle paths, which are usually asphalted. You even cycle along the Rhine dikes. Overall there are no noteworthy ascents. This makes the tour well-suited even for novice cyclists.
- 7 nights stay in outside cabin with shower/WC in the booked category
- Programme according to itinerary from Strasbourg to Mainz
- Full board (breakfast, packed lunch for cycle tours or lunch snack, coffee and tea in the afternoon, three-course dinner)
- Daily cabin cleaning
- Change of bedding and towels if desired
- Passenger and port fees
- Daily briefing on board for the respective cycle tour
- Tour guide on board
- 1 set of maps and information material per cabin
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Strasbourg/Kehl main station is near the pier
Number of participants
- Minimum of 50 people
- Timetable and program are subject to change. At times of extreme flooding or low water the boat company reserves the right to transport you by bus or to cancel the whole tour. There is no demand against that (water level is subject to force majeure clause). This is also the case for unforeseeable incidents like the reparation of a water gate/bridge or if the boat's engine were to break down.
- Please bear in mind that your boat is your hotel on the one hand and your motor-driven transport on the other hand. It has to move on at night as well. If you are sensitive to noise, please bring earplugs with you.
This tour has 5 more variations
MS Arlene II
The comfortable MS ARLENE II provides the right ambience to make you feel at ease. The ship is being completely refurbished and upgraded in the winter of 2017/2018.