Sicily and Aeolian Islands, Sundial
Volcanoes in the Tyrrhenian Sea.
Fair Weather Cyclist
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Guided group tour
Arrival in Catania
Meeting point is Catania airport at 3.30pm. There is a transfer to Milazzo harbour. You can embark at 6pm at the Marina di Nettuno in Milazzo (Me). You will get a welcome drink, dinner and an outline of the program for the coming week. You will stay in the port of Milazzo overnight.
Milazzoapprox. 15 km
Cycle to Capo Milazzo (Milazzo Cape) where you have the option to swim in the wonderful “Venus Pool”, a protected natural sea pool at the very end of the cape. Return to Milazzo. You can visit the castle and its ancient bourg if you wish. Then you return to the Marina of Milazzo where you will have dinner and spend the night in the port.
Today you travel by boat to Vulcano island. Today you will discover the island's hinterland and go to Piano Grillo from where you can admire an amazing panorama. In the afternoon there is nothing planned so you can do what you want. We recommend a walk to the crater of the volcano (400m), having a mud bath at the island's sulphur beach or swimming amongst the underwater fumaroles. Dinner is on board. The boat will stay in the harbour over night.
After breakfast the boat will move to Panarea. We will stop for a swim close to the little islands of Lisca Bianca, Bottara and Dattilo, where the volcanic activity is still clearly visible and vapours rise up through the cracks between the rocks. Upon arrival in Panarea, the smallest of the Aeolian Islands, there will be a lunch break at anchor in a nice bay. Navigation towards Stromboli with a superb view of the Sciara del Fuoco. In the late afternoon, we will walk to the volcano up to an altitude of about 400m above sea level to admire the volcanic explosions at dusk. Picnic dinner with a nice panoramic view. Return to the boat and overnight stay in roadstead in Stromboli.
Breakfast on board and navigation towards Panarea. We stop at anchor in the bay of Porto San Pietro. Nice relaxed walk in the morning where you can visit the little village of Panarea, the Drautto beach and the prehistoric village. Picnic lunch at Cala Junco and then you return to the boat. We then sail to the Island of Salina and there will be a break for a swim. Disembark in Salina and visit a local shop with a chance to taste several local products. Return on board, dinner and night in port in Salina.
Today you will cycle on the largest island within the Aeolian archipelago. From Santa Marina, on the East coast, you will reach Pollara, a panoramic point on the western coast. Visit the Lingua and Pollara lakes. There will be a possibility to taste the very good “granita” of Alfredo. You then get back on board and travel to Lipari. Dinner on board and overnight stay in the port of Lipari.
After breakfast we will start a fantastic coast to coast bike ride. You will go past white beaches like Canneto, an exclusive summer resort and you will have the opportunity to go swimming from the Acquacalda beach. You can then check out the historical centre where there are lots of shops and restaurants. Return to the boat and enjoy the journey to Milazzo.
Disembark at 9am. There is a group transfer to Catania airport. From there you make your own journey home.
Each day you cycle between 15km and 35km along coastal roads. The routes are mainly easy but there are some ascents of up to 600m ascent.
- 7 nights on board (6x harbour, 1x roadstead) in cabins of your selected category
- Full board: breakfast, packed lunch for cycle trips or snack on board, dinner
- Bed linen and towels (towels changed once a week)
- English-speaking tour guide
- Shared transfer from/to Catania airport
Arrival / parking / departure
- Arrival by train to Catania and then further to Milazzo. This takes about 2 - 2.5 hours and costs about €15 per person. Then take a taxi or a bus to the harbour. This costs about €30 per person
- Shared transfer from/to Catania airport on arrival and departure day at the mentioned times, included in the price!
Number of participants
- Minimum of 2 people
- We reserve the right to make alterations to the itinerary, depending on wind and weather conditions or for other organisational requirements. This is no reason for a free cancellation.
- Please note that space in the cabins is limited. We recommend bringing good rain clothes (coat and trousers), a helmet, a sun hat and sunscreen as well as trainers with you.
- The boat stays 6 nights in the harbour and 2 nights in the roadstead. The roadstead is outside of harbours and directly connected to the sea. If the weather is bad, the boat has to stay in the harbour for these two nights too. In this case, there is an additional harbour fee of €20 to €50 per person.
- Changed cancellation conditions:
up to 60 days before arrival 20 %
59 – 31 days before arrival 30 %
30 – 21 days before arrival 50 %
20 – 11 days before arrival 70 %
10 – 1 days before arrival 90 %
No-Show 100 %
Bike & Barge Sunidal
You ride on Sicily and the Liparian Islands. The crew welcomes you on board of Sunidal.