Tauern Cycle Path
From Krimml via Salzburg to Passau.
- 10 Days / 9 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Arrival in Krimml
Europe's largest waterfall is located in Krimml where this cycle tour starts. The vast amounts of water crash down a height of 400m creating a thundering roaring noise. You can admire this natural spectacle from a well-designed trail. You can find your rental bikes at your hotel (if booked).
You start your bike tour alongside a river called Krimmler Ache. You will get a breathtaking view of the Großvenediger mountain at the start of today's tour. You then cycle through the Obersulzbach valley in order to get to your accomdodation. In Mittersill you should allow plenty of time for visiting the Nationalparkwelten with its attractions.
Your route runs through the High Tauern National Park and the Oberpinzgau. Snow covered mountains will be in sight all the way. Lush green meadows alternate with lovely small villages and offer fabulous scenery. In Kaprun you have the possibility to view the Alpine reservoirs.
Today is an ideal opportunity to go for a refreshing swim in lake Zell. If you are a sporty cyclist, you could go for another bike ride or go on an excursion up the Großglockner, Austria´s highest mountain. A shopping tour alongside the promenade can also make you forget the hardship of your daily working life.
You cycle along the tranquil Saalach valley to “Maria Alm” where there is a famous pilgrimage church. Soon after that you will reach Saalfelden, which is a perfect place lunch. Further attractions on your way to Lofer are the Seisenbergklamm gorge and Lamprechtshöhe near Weißbach.
Today you get to cycle through the wonderful Saalach valley again! Bad Reichenhall located in the “small German corner” enchants you with its Bavarian flair. After a little while you will have reached Salzburg, the city of Mozart. The sheer amount of culture on offer here is sure to impress you. You should plan enough extra time for a walk through the city and a visit to Mozart´s birth house.
You leave Salzburg and its Alps and cycle through the Alpine foothills. The Tauern bike path ends in Tittmoning and from here you have to follow the nature trail along the Lower Inn before you reach today´s destination, Burghausen. Outstanding features are its magnificent historic centre and the largest castle complex in Central Europe.
The route leads you along the river Inn up to Braunau. This gothic town is perfect for having lunch break. On your way you see numerous bird colonies. You can cover the remaining way on the Bavarian or Austrian side. Today's destination Obernberg has a well-known market square with many baroque buildings.
Soon you reach the abbey called "Stift Reichersberg“, which is well worth a visit. You cycle alongside the river Inn through small towns like Schärding where you can take a break at the baroque market square. Not far after this and you will have reached your final destination on this beautiful bike trip: Passau. The city of three rivers has a lot to offer, for example the world´s largest organ in the cathedral. A river cruise would certainly be the ultimate way to end this wonderful bike ride.
Departure or extension
In Passau there is a lot to discover. If you are interested in staying here longer, we would be pleased to book some extra nights.
The Tauern bike path is well-signposted throughout. The route leads takes you along quiet and paved paths and country roads. Occasionally you will have to cycle on busier routes. You have to cope cycling on unpaved paths for a few short sections. The quality of the trail can be described broadly as very good though. Hills are hardly present in this variant and therefore this tour is also suitable for families with children.
- Accommodation in your selected category
- Breakfast buffet
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Well developed route
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room with route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers
- Entrance fee Krimml Waterfalls (not for Alternative 5/4 Short Tour)
- GPS-data is available
- Service hotline
- Half-board evening neak (mostly multi couse, sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)
- Bike rental, including rental bike insurance
- Return transfer by minibus to Krimml daily, this costs € 69 per person incl.your bike, to be paid in advance
Passau – Krimml, departure 2 p.m.
Schärding – Krimml, departure 2.30 p.m.
Salzburg – Krimml, departure 4 p.m.
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Krimml train station
- Salzburg, Innsbruck or Munich airport
- Public car park close to the hotels in Krimml costs € 5 per day, to be paid for at the time, no reservation possible/necessary. Please inform us how you arrive, the hotels will be booked accordingly.
- Public multi storage car park in Passau, this costs approx. € 5 per day, to be paid for at the time, no reservation possible.
Things to note
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!