Tauern Cycle Path
From the waterfall to the lake district
- 6 Days / 5 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Arrival to Krimml
This cycling holiday starts at the foot of Europe's largest waterfall. You can view and admire it from a well-designed trail allowing you to get up-close. Your rental bikes (if booked) will already be at your accomodation.
You start today's bike ride by cycling alongside the river Krimmler Ache. The first few kilometres will give you a breathtaking view of the "Großvenediger“ mountain. By cycling through the Obersulzbach valley you will get to today's destination where you will stay overnight. You should leave plenty of time to visiting the "Nationalparkwelten“ in Mittersill and its attractions.
The bike tour continues by going through the Hohe Tauern national park and the Upper Pinzgau region. Lush green meadows and pleasant villages alternate and this creates a fabulous scenery. In Kaprun you can visit the high-mountain reservoirs.
Today you cycle through the tranquil Saalach valley. You will go through “Maria Alm”, which has got a famous pilgrimage church. Another highlight is Saalfelden, which is a perfect place to stop for lunch. Further sights on your way to Lofer are the Seisenbergklamm gorge and the Lamprechtshöhle caves near Weißbach.
Today you cycle through the tranquil Saalach valley once again. Bad Reichenhall, located in the “small German corner”, enchants you with its Bavarian flair. After a short distance you have reached Salzburg, the city of Mozart. The cultural offer there is sure to embrace you. You should plan enough extra time for a walk through the city and for visiting Mozart´s birth house.
The Tauern bike path runs from start to finish with no breaks in it. The route is also fully signposted. The route runs through quiet areas on paved paths and country roads. At times you will have to cycle along busier routes. There are a few short sections of the route where the cycling surface is bumpy. Overall the quality of the cycle route can be described as very good. There are hardly any hills in this version of the tour, which also makes it suitable for families with children.
- Accommodation in your selected category
- Breakfast buffet
- If half board is booked: 3 course meal everyday
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Well developed route
- Detailed travel documents (route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers)
- GPS-data is available
- Rental bike insurance
- Service hotline
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Krimml train station
- Salzburg, Innsbruck or Munich airport
- Public car park close to the hotels in Krimml costs €4 per day, to be paid for at the time, no reservation possible/necessary. Please inform us how you arrive, the hotels will be booked accordingly.
- Return transfer by minibus to Krimml daily, this costs €50 per person incl. your bike, to be paid in advance.
- Passau train station – Krimml, departure 2pm
- Schärding – Krimml, departure 2:30 pm
- Salzburg – Krimml, departure 4pm