Provence Loop Tour
Comfortable cycling around Orange.
- 7 Days / 6 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Arrival in Orange
Orange is a city with marvellous buildings dating back to the Romans. The spectacular theatre and the triumph arc are historic witnesses of this epoch. The old town breathes the charm of the Provence with its small shops and cafés.
After breakfast start to the first roundtrip to the world wide famous wine-growing town. Chateauneuf-du-Pape. Here one of the fullest bodied red wines of Provence is grown. The vine-yards were cultivated by the popes, who had their second residence in the region. Via Courthezon (medieval fortress) today's tour leads back to Orange.
In full view of the mighty mountain Mont Ventoux you cycle through the vine-yards of the Cote du Rhone to the historical town Vaison-la-Romaine, with many antiques. Especially worth visiting are the ruins of the old Roman town as well as the Roman church Notre Dame de Nazareth.
What may well be the nicest weekly market in Provence is waiting for you to visit it on Tuesday morning. Discover the regional food and let your senses go wild. In the afternoon you can go on a circular tour where you will see traditional villages with medieval architecture.
You then continue to Carpentras via Sablet and Gigondas, which are well-known wine villages. Carpentras is famous for its strawberries and 'berlingots', which is a type of sweet. Today's destination is the wonderful L’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, which is famous for its antique shops, the old Roman water wheels and a lovely old town.
We follow the valley of the branching river Sorgue. On the way you have the opportunity to visit the grotto of Thouzon, the only public accessible stalactite cavern of the Provence. Along the Durance and on tranquil roads you reach the centre of Avignon. Take the opportunity of an idyllic stroll through the old town and visit the Popes palace.
On small roads along the Rhone you leave Avignon and you reach Orange around noon. Departure or extra days.
Easy - The tours lead through the varying landscapes of Provence. The route is planned to lead almost always on side streets with low traffic. This is an easy and diverting tour with only short simple ascents. Therefore this tour is also suited for beginners or persons with low training level.
- Accommodation in your selected category
- Breakfast buffet or an extensive breakfast
- Welcome briefing (German, English)
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Well elaborated route
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (DE, EN) with route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers
- Own signposting
- GPS-data is available
- Service hotline
- Half-board evening meal (mostly multi-course, sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)
- Bike rental, including rental bike insurance
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Orange train station
- Underground car park near your hotel, about € 10 per day, no reservation necessary
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!