Itinerary at a glance
Your cycling holiday should get off to a start with a tour of Emperor Heinrich II's town. He was the one with the vision, who built and loved Bamberg, and lies here, buried in in the cathedral in a sarcophagus by Tilman Riemenschneider. It is with reason that the entire Bamberg historic quarter was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Maybe a short tour of this town of seven hills and a last look at the stunning view from the look-out tower of graceful Geyerwörth Castle before you leave Bamberg. Friends of a good brew will enjoy today especially. You cycle through Hauptsmoorwald Forest and while you're on the Beer Cellar Tour you'll get to know up to 15 beer cellars, guesthouses and breweries. A beautiful-countryside-beautiful-beer fusion!
The Main cycle path takes you from "Beer Franconia" through vineyards to "Wine Franconia" Look forward to a good drop! Via Zeil am Main, a small town of half-timber-framed houses and wine - your route takes you along the edge of the Hassberg mountains to Hassfurt to the parish church of St. Kilian with works by Tilman Riemenschneider. Also visit the impressive Kreuztal Mariaburghausen Monastery before cycling back to Bamberg!
Today, the train (ticket not included) takes you to the basket-making town of Lichtenfels, where the Main slowly starts to twist and turn. Banz Abbey greets you from the mountain as does the the world-famous Basilica of the Fourteen Holy Helpers. Via Bad Staffelstein with its lovely marketplace and elegant town houses, you cycle back to Bamberg.
Your last day covers quite a distance! First, you cycle to Burgebrach with its historic town centre and then to the Baroque Weissenstein Castle in Steigerwald, which you get to know in more detail on a tour. Cycling through Rauhen and Reichen Ebrach valleys to pedal back to Bamberg.
The routes along the rivers are flat, so there are hardly any gradients to overcome. In the hinterland the topography is slightly hilly. You cycle mostly on asphalted paths, partly on natural surfaces as well as little used side roads.
Prices and dates
Services & Information
Further details about this tour
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- Best developed route
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German, English, Dutch)
- 1 Entrance and guided tour in Weißenstein Castle (German)
- 4 Voucher for 0,5 l of peer per person (from 18 years of age, redeemable in Bamberg)
- GPS-data available
- Service hotline
- Bike rental, including rental bike insurance
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Bamberg train station
- Nürnberg, Frankfurt am Main or Munich airport
- Multi-storey car park costs approx EUR 45 per week, to be paid for at the time, no reservation possible.
Public unattended P+R car park at the outskirts of the city
Things to note
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Train ticket Bamberg – Lichtenfels approx. EUR 12 per person incl. bike
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!
- This tour is a partner tour.