East Frisia and the Netherlands
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Arrival in Emden
Tour information and the handing out of the bakes.
Emden – Leerca. 35 km
Enjoy the first ride from Emden to Petkum on beautiful paths. By ferry (not included) you reach the village of Ditzum where you should visit the fish harbour. Along the river Ems you cycle via Jemgum to Leer. Discover the beautiful and old city centre, the picturesque baroque building and the harbor.
Bicycle tour through the „Moormerland“, the heart of the Fehn culture. Wind and range accompany you on your way to Papenburg. Papenburg is called the „Venice of the north“. An exceptional attraction of Papenburg is the company „Meyer Werft“, which builds cruise ships. If you would like to visit the wharf a registration is necessary: telephone: 0049-4961-83960 or www.papenburgtourismus.de.
Immediately behind Papenburg you enter the Netherlands, province Groningen. After a few of kilometres visit the old, star-formed border fortress Bourtange from the 16th century. Then you cycle through fertile marshes to Stadskanaal, past huge farms and renovated old locks.
Solitary cycle path through dense forests, heather, moor and peat you cycle through province Drenthe. You cycle through idyllic villages to Ziudlaren with splendid Saxon farmhouses and late- Romanesque church. Only a brief distance along the large continental-lake Paterswoldsemeer and you reach the city Groningen. Groningen is a lively centre in the North-East of the Netherlands and is well worth a visit.
You set off to the North. Here you are soon embraced by quietude and solitariness. Near Uithuizen you find the most beautiful fortress of the region Groningen, Menkemaburg. Along the dyke you cycle to Delfzijl.
Option 1: (Arrival everyday): Cycle tour to Delfzijl along the Dollart. From Ditzum to Petkum by ferry and cycle tour to Emden (approx. 50 km) Option 2: (only on Sunday arrival): From Delfzijl along the Dollart to Emden-Knock by ferry and cycle tour to Emden.
Easy - East Frisia and the Netherlands are ideal countrysides for cycle tours. All routes are flat! You cycle on asphalted or plastered country lanes, sometimes on minor roads. This tour is perfectly suited for beginners or groups.
Category: 3*** and 4**** hotels
- 7 overnights in quality accommodation with private bathroom
- Breakfast buffet or extended breaktfast
- Personal welcome and trip briefing
- If half-board multi-course dinners
- Well-elaborated routes and detailed route description with maps
- Detailed travel information (about sights, important phone numbers..)
- Luggage transport from hotel to hotel
- An own signposting for the route
- GPS-tracks on request available
- Insurance for rental bikes
Arrival/ Parking/ Departure
- Bremen or Münster airport
- Train from Münster/Bremen aiport to main train station in Emden
- Public car park for € 12 per week. Free parking place near hotel, no reservation possible
All the ferrys are not included.