Ilm- and Saale Cycle Path
Ilmenau - Naumburg.
Fair Weather Cyclist
- 7 Days / 6 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Today you will leave Ilmenau and follow the Ilm along tranquil trails to Kranichfeld. Plan your lunch break in Stadtilm, where you find the biggest marketplace of Thuringia! Cycling through the valley enclosed by beautiful limestone cliffs. In the afternoon you reach the two-guarantor's town Kranichfeld.
From Kranichfeld cycle on Ilmradweg to Tannroda, a small town in Weimar country with a Castle arrangement and the Thuringian basket weaver's museum. From there continue to the Health resort town Bad Berka and further you will cross the opposite side of the river by cycling the historical bridge of Buchfahrt and finally Weimar is expecting you. Weimar is rich in culture and attracted many great thinkers like Goethe and Schiller. The city has a beautiful historical centre.
An attractive distance to be cycled along the castles and parks. Wickerstedt and Eberstedt with his historical mill and the swimming hut village come up on the way to the health resort town Bad Sulza.
Today you cycle through the wine Eldorado the Saale Unstrut region, the Germany’s northern most wine growing area. The four towers of the biggest treasure of Naumburg are greeting from far, the cathedral St.-Peter-und-Paul. Here particularly the full-size founder's figures are famous in West choir. The city hall in the Renaissance style, the Wenzel’s church as well as the medieval marketplace.
The sparkling city of Freyburg, the pearl in the Unstruttal, is the destination of your today's excursion. Picturesque vine terraces, the orchid flora on the Muschelkalk slopes, the wooded hills and the river valley of the Unstrut with the winery town nestling in the valley below the Neuchâtel, characterize the lower Unstruttal as a scenic gem. Here the visit of the Rotkäppchen sparkling wine cellar with a subsequent glass of sparkling wine awaits you on a great holiday.
Easy cycle tour along the cycle paths of river Ilm and Saale.
- Accommodation in 3***-hotels and pensions
- Breakfast buffet or extended breakfast
- Luggage transfer from hotel to hotel
- Detailed travel documents with maps 1x per room (German, Englisch)
- Merian Travel guide 1x per room (german)
- 24h Thuringia Card for entrees in Weimar, guided city tour (german), lots of museums, castle Belvedere...
- Rotkäppchen Champagne-Tour in Freyburg (German)
- Service hotline
- Half-board evening meal (mostly multi-course, sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)
- Return transfer by minibus from Naumburg to Ilmenau daily, this costs € 50 incl. your bike, minimum number of participants is 2, to be paid at the time, reservation is necessary.
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Ilmenau train station
- Free parking at the hotel, no reservation possible/necessary
- Multi storage car park at the hotel, this costs approx. € 8 per day, to be paid for at the time. Reservation directly at the hotel.