Ilm- and Saale Cycle Path
Ilmenau - Merseburg.
Fair Weather Cyclist
- 7 Days / 6 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Today you will leave Ilmenau and follow the Ilm along tranquil trails to Kranichfeld. Plan your lunch break in Stadtilm, where you find the biggest marketplace of Thuringia! Cycling through the valley enclosed by beautiful limestone cliffs. In the afternoon you reach the two-guarantor's town Kranichfeld.
From Kranichfeld cycle on Ilmradweg to Tannroda, a small town in Weimar country with a Castle arrangement and the Thuringian basket weaver's museum. From there continue to the Health resort town Bad Berka and further you will cross the opposite side of the river by cycling the historical bridge of Buchfahrt and finally Weimar is expecting you. Weimar is rich in culture and attracted many great thinkers like Goethe and Schiller. The city has a beautiful historical centre.
An attractive distance to be cycled along the castles and parks. Wickerstedt and Eberstedt with his historical mill and the swimming hut village come up on the way to the health resort town Bad Sulza.
Today you cycle through the wine Eldorado the Saale Unstrut region, the Germany’s northern most wine growing area. The four towers of the biggest treasure of Naumburg are greeting from far, the cathedral St.-Peter-und-Paul. Here particularly the full-size founder's figures are famous in West choir. The city hall in the Renaissance style, the Wenzel’s church as well as the medieval marketplace.
Today your goal is the royal city of Merseburg with the many-towered silhouette of cathedral and castle. A visit the bronze sepulchral flagstone of 1080 – this is the oldest German grave portrait, richly carved pulpit and the magnificent organ you should not miss.
Easy cycle tour along the cycle paths of river Ilm and Saale.
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- Breakfast buffet or an extensive breakfast
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Detailed travel documents
- Train journey Bad Sulza – Weimar incl. your bike (only Alternative 5/4)
- Entrée Ilmenau: Goethe – national museum, show mine “Volle Rose” including journey by nostalgic train
- Public guided city tour and Entrée Weimar : numerous museums, Palace Belvedere
- Entrée Apolda: bell and city museum
- Entrée Bad Sulza: Tuscany thermal spring (2 hours) (Alternative 5/4 and 7/6)
- Service hotline
Anreise / Parken / Abreise
- Ilmenau train station
- Free parking at the hotel, no reservation possible/necessary
- Multi storage car park at the hotel, this costs approx. € 8 per day, to be paid for at the time. Reservation directly at the hotel.
- Return transfer by minibus from Merseburg to Ilmenau daily, this costs € 45 incl. your bike, minimum number of participants is 2, to be paid at the time, reservation is necessary.