Ilm-, Saale Valley-, Mill Cycle Path
History, Art & Hospitality.
Fair Weather Cyclist
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Arrival in Weimar
After arriving in Weimar in the early afternoon, you can walk in the footsteps of great poets and thinkers Goethe and Schiller. Discover the most beautiful corners of Weimar for a city tour. For art lovers there is plenty to see, eg. As the exhibitions at the Belvedere Palace, the New Museum and the famous Bauhaus Museum. Round off the day in peace and look forward to the upcoming cycling.
According to Goethe the region with gentle hills and picturesque vineyards of Saale and Ilm can be compared with Italian Tuscany. Especially the Ilm cyclepath promises delightful cycling along castles, fortresses and beautiful parks dating back to Goethe’s times. Visit the thermal spa and city of Bad Sulza and enjoy the Mediterranean flair.
From Bad Sulza you pedal to the joining of the rivers Ilm and Saale and change to the Saale cyclepath. Lovely scenery, dotted with castles, fortresses, churches, historic mills and the wine paradise of Thuringia. In Jena, the University city, modern and historic times meet with interesting results. For example enjoy the sight from “Jentower” over the city and surrounding.
Today you touch the traditional porcelain town Kahla and cycle past fortress Leuchtenburg along Saale cycle path. Many famous poets and scientists where connected to the region as e.g. Schiller and Goethe, Humboldt and Schopenhauer, the musicians Richard Wagner, Franz Liszt as well as pedagogue Friedrich Fröbel. Visit in Ridolstadt Heidecksburg castle, where you get information about the history of the “white Gold” in Thuringia.
Today the long distance cycle routes Saale and Ilmtal are connected, you will cycle at the Mill cycle path. Lovely countryside with little villages is crossed. Stadtilm has a historic old town and nestles on the foot of the Thuringian forest. Nature lovers will appreciate the taste species. First documentation of Stadtilm can be followed back to 1268. The city church, town hall, ancient Cistercian monastery, city wall with fortification towers provides many points of interest.
From Stadtilm, you should visit the smallest Brewey in Thuringia in Singen at the beginning of this cycle day before you continue to Kleinhettstedt (mustard mill) and then to Dienstedt (carst cave). From Dienstedt to Kranichfeld you can see 2 fortresses and the Baumbachhouse. Enjoy a trip nearby swimming reservoir Hohenfelden.
You cycle through the idyllic Ilmtal. We recommend the historic wooden bridge in Buchfahrt to visit. On your way you pass Weimar sprawling gardens and parks. Surely you did not make the day of arrival all the sights that interest you in Weimar to visit it. Today, you have again the opportunity.
Easy cycle tour along the river cyclepaths of Ilm and Saale. On Mühlen-Radweg (Cycle path) you have to deal with longer climbs on day 5, which you can short from Seefeld by train (not incl.).
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- Breakfast buffet or an extensive breakfast
- Welcome briefing
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Merian guidebook
- Detailed travel documents
- Guided city tour Weimar and entrance fees o.a.: Goethe National Museum, Weimar house, Goethe garden house, Bauhaus, castle Belvedere, entrance Dornburg castles, city castle
- Guided city tour Jena and entrance fees o.a.: Planetarium, Thermal spa Galaxsea (2 hours bath and sauna)
- Apolda entrance fees o.a.. Bell museum, city museum
- Bad Sulza entrance fees o.a.: Toskana Thermal Spa (2 hours)
- Rudolstadt entrance fee. Heidecksburg castle,Schiller house
- Service hotline
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Weimar train station
- Free parking close to the hotel, no reservation possible/necessary.
- Multi storage car park at the hotel, this costs approx. € 12 per day, to be paid for at the time, no reservation possible.