Bamberg - Aschaffenburg with charm
Through the varied country franken
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Arrival in Bamberg
Handing out of rental bicycles in late afternoon at bicycle-depot; depending on booked category about 7 min walk from the start hotel. Start the trip with a walk of the city of Emperor Heinrich II, who dreamed of Bamberg, realised and loved it and who was interred in the dome.
Maybe a last walk through the city of seven hills before you set off. Along river Main you pass the invisible border between “Beer Franken” and “Wine Franken”. Comfortable half timbered and wine town Zeil am Main is first witness therefore. On foot of Hassberge Mountains you reach Hassfurt and here you walk in the footsteps of Tilmann Riemenschneider. Admire a unique building of occidental art: Hassfurt’s knave’s chapel.
Along river Main you cycle to Schweinfurt. You will soon discover that Schweinfurt is more than just an industrial city. You cycle through idyllic villages and vast vineyards. Shortly before Volkach you should not miss a visit of the most famous wood-cutting of Tilman Riemenschneider: Madonna with Rosary in pilgrim’s church St. Maria im Weingarten. Around wine-grower town Volkach am Main the best wines grow.
Roll through the Main-river bend of Volkach and enjoy the shady river meadows to cover the short remaining distance to Kitzingen in the heart of the Franken wine-growing area. In order to do Würzburg full justice we planned only a short stage today. About 40 idyllic cycle kilometre bring you into pulsating Würzburg. The lively baroque and culture city on Main is surrounded by vineyards and dominated by fortress Marienberg. Superb monuments are the residence (UNESCO heritage), St. Kilians-dome, Neumünster, historic ensemble of Marien chapel and Falken house on the market, the old Main bridge and the traditional wine estates in midst of the old town.
Today you have the choice of two options: either you prefer the flat but longer way (approx. 80 km) on foot of vineyards via Zellingen, Karlstadt, Gemünden and Lohr am Main to Marktheidenfeld. Or you chose the shorter but hilly option (approx. 50 km) through dreamy little towns and hamlets. Whatever you decide, there is a lot to see. Idyllic small town Karlstadt with eventful history, Three-River-Town Gemünden with nature park Spessart, Lohr am Main with historic buildings and half timbered houses and the secluded little villages of the hinterland on both banks of river Main.
Today you cruise through typical countryside to Wertheim, a town that was able to preserve the character of an old frank-town. Behind the next bend you see Stadtprozelten, dominated by one of the most beautiful fortress-ruins of river Main, Henneburg. Miltenberg has a reputation for “Schnatterloch” one of the most idyllic places of Germany and a famous photo place and inn “Riesen”. If you like half-timbered houses you will be enchanted by the place.
You leave the half-timbered houses of Miltenberg and head to little town Klingenberg with vineyards, wine-taverns and farm-inns. As many denominations there are as many wine grower villages seam the way. Roll through a rolling countryside until you reach “Spessart-metropolis” Aschaffenburg. Intimidating historic buildings, monuments and museums witness the historic relevance of Aschaffenburg. Cast a last view from impressive Pompejanum high above the city before you say farewell to “Half-timbered houses, fun and Franken wine”.
Departure or extension
Wealthy electoral princes of Mainz esteemed Aschaffenburg as summer residence and basis for hunting in Spessart. Do the same and name Aschaffenburg your summer residence for an extra stay exploring the surrounding countryside.
You cycle almost 100% on cycle path along river Main, mainly flat and no major climbs. We recommend this tour for beginners and families.
Premiumcategory: Comfortable 4**** hotels
- Accommodation in your selected category
- Breakfast buffet or an extensive breakfast
- If half board is booked: every day a 3 course meal
- Welcome briefing (only by arrival in Bamberg)
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room with route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers
- GPS-data is available
- Service hotline
- Half board evening meal (mostly multi.course, sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher, Bamberg only B&B)
- Bike rental including rental bike insurance
- Return transfer by minibus to Bamberg every Sonnday morning, costs €67 per Person/inkl. your bike, reservation necessary, to be paid at the time
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Bamberg train station
- Multi-storey car park in Bamberg costs € 42 per week, to be paid for at the time, no reservation possible/necessary
- Category Charme: Multi-storey car park at the hotel, costs € 12 per day, to be paid at the time, no reservation possible/necessary.
- Good train connections from Aschaffenburg to Bamberg
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!