Potsdam - based in one hotel
Along the tracks of writer Theodor Fontane.
- 6 Days / 5 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Arrival in Potsdam
Welcome briefing and distribution of rental bikes in the late afternoon. Maybe you take your time already for a first stroll through Potsdam.
Today you have a lot of opportunities to explore the numerous attractions of Potsdam by bike. Architecture from different parts in Europe coins the city: for instance the Russian colony Alexandrowka or the Dutch quarter. Explore the history in the villa colony Babelsberg and in palace Babelsberg and palace Cecilienhof, and of course in the most popular palace: palace Sanssouci. Modern history in the “Forbidden City”, Potsdam was the European headquarter of the KGB in earlier times.
Now you cross the historic Glienicker Brücke (bridge), which was used for the exchange of agents between East and South. You enter the surrounding between Berlin and Potsdam, where writer Fontane travelled to as well. Along river Havel you cycle to Lake Wannsee. Your tour leads you on through Berliner Grunewald and along the Havel bike path to Gatow with its popular church from the 13th century. In Sacrow the palace of King Friedrich-Wilhelm IV is awaiting you. Afterwards you return to Potsdam.
Not only writer Theodor Fontane was guest in the village of Caputh, which belongs to community Schwielow See today. Albert Einstein used this village for ca. four years as summer idyll, before he emigrated to the USA in 1932. You will be guest in Caputh too before you cycle along Lake Schwielowsee and Ferch to Petzow. Its palace was built from Karl Friedrich Schinkel and is coined through Moorish architecture and English Tudor style. Your tour leads you into the old city of Werder, which is located picturesque on an island. The village is centre for fruit growing in the Havel area, the museum gives you more information on that. Via Geltow you cycle along the Havel bike path back to Potsdam.
Use this day to explore Potsdam more intensively. Maybe you visit the film museum in Babelsberg? Meet Charlie Chaplin, Romy Schneider and other movie stars. Or you do a boat tour with the white fleet of Potsdam, which is included in the price.
This is an easy tour on bike paths and along the banks, sometimes also over cobble stones and roads with less traffic
Hotels: Kongresshotel Potsdam Am Templiner See 4**** in Potsdam
- Overnights in Kongresshotel Potsdam
- Breakfast buffet or extended breakfast
- 1x dinner buffet with regional specialties incl. 1 drink (0,3 l beer, 0,2 l house wine or 1 soft drink)
- Personal welcome and trip briefing
- Best elaborated route
- Detailed travel documents 1 x per room with route maps
- Wifi in the hotel
- City tax of the city of Potsdam
- Castle round trip per boat (excl. bike)
- GPS-data is available
- Bike rental, including rental bike insurance
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Potsdam train station
- Berlin airport
- Garage at the hotel, € 12 per day. car parks near the hotel available, free of charge.
Things to note:
- Special arrangements for at least 4 people on request!
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!