Across the alps along the North-South Route.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Basel, Liestal and the Ergolztal: a bustling, self-confident agglomeration. In contrast: tranquility and charming countryside in the Baselbiet Jura. On through Aargau's Jurapark hills, followed by a racy descent down the southern Jura slopes to Aarau.
From Aarau the way leads to the idyllic Suhrental river valley; with views of the Alps spotted south and Jura chain north. Through rich orchards and fertile fields alongside Lake Sempach, this stage finally takes you to Lucerne.
The Vierwaldstättersee is one of Switzerland’s largest and most beautiful lakes. Its many arms link the Mittelland and Alps. When the fierce föhn wind blows, the lake reveals its wilder side! The Urnerland, an incessant, nervously pulsating transit corridor.
The trip continues through the canton of Uri where the wild Reuss plunges down through the Schöllenenschlucht (gorge), subdued only by sheer mountain walls and the Teufels Brücke (Devil’s Bridge). If by horse, by train or by car. Everyone always wanted and still want to cross the Gotthard southwards.
The Leventina has been a transit corridor since ancient times. The further south, the milder the climate. An easy ride along the waters of the Ticino, soon passing chestnut trees and vineyards. Bellinzona, called «La Turrita» because of its many castles.
You cycle to Cadenazzo and take the train up to Rivera Bironico. From Monte Ceneri a clear view of the Piano di Magadino vegetable fields and Lago Maggiore. Lago di Luganos’ picture-postcard beauty marks the end of this tour.
Departure or extension
Challenging in the beginning in the hills of Jura and smooth during the ride through the Mittelland and past Lake Lucerne. Uphill from Amsteg towards the pass and downhill over the cobblestones of Tremola road. Some traffic around the urban centres.
Category: 3***-Hotels, 4****-hotel on Gotthardpass
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- Breakfast buffet
- Welcome briefing (German, English)
- Luggage transport between the hotels
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German, English with route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers)
- 1 Boat ride Beckenried – Flüelen incl. bike
- GPS-data is available
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- train station Basel
- Parking in Basel is very expensive! For details www.parkleitsystem-basel.ch
- Cheaper alternative: Airport parking at the airport Basel-Mulhouse (with direct bus connection to the Basel SBB train station, approx. 30 min)
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Bus ticket Göschenen – Andermatt at Day 5 approx. EUR 5 per person incl. bike
- Train ticket Cadenazzo – Rivera Bironico at Day 7 approx. EUR 6 per person incl. bike
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!