Arrival in Linz
The capital of Upper Austria welcomes you. Take a leisurely stroll through the amazing historic centre, watch the animals in Linz Zoo or visit one of the exciting museums, for instance the ‚Ars Electronica Center‘, the ‚Museum for the Futurue‘! There you get to experiment, research and test. Rental bikes (if you booked any) are ready for you in the hotel.
Linz – Enns Surroundings
Fire-spitting dragons, gnomes and witches – are all still tob e found in the ‚Grottenbahn on Mount Pöstlingberg! We highly recommend you plan a visit there before embarking on your cycling tour. You leisurely cycle out of the city always along the river Danube. Past the local recreation area Lake Pleschinger See featuring playgrounds and a bathing place as houses become fewer and fewer and instead you experience more and more nature. Lake Ausee would be a great opportunity for a break, since the Aqua Park with slides, climbing towers and slip&slide running areas simply crank up the fun-factor. Then onwards slightly off the course of the river Danube you continue as far as Enns.
Here in Austria’s oldest town you get to visit the Roman Circular Path, enjoy a waterpark featuring a 65 meter long slide or take a stroll through the castle grounds. Then you return to the Danube riverbank and continue along the wonderfully flat Danube-cycle path across the idyllic scenery of the ‚Machland‘. En route to Grein the next highlight awaits: the outdoor museum Celtic Village in Mitterkirchen. Experience Austria’s prehistory during a walk through the Celtic Village.
Grein has always been referred to as ‚the Pearl of the Strudengau-region‘. It was the final secure docking possibility for ships before hitting the dangerous eddies (‚Struden‘) of the Strudengau-region. Here, ships were often unloaded before they made their way through this dangerous passage. This was all part of what made Grein such an enchanting town as it is today – and also offers a climbing gym and public outdoor swimming pool. From this point onwards the Danube river valley narrows and displays now the fascinating spots of the Strudengau-region all the way to your Day Finish Marbach.
Marbach – Wachau
Enjoy a brilliant breakfast and then lounge around in the Nibelungenbad-pool of Marbach: a cycling holiday in Austria can be so much fun! From Maria Taferl the view onto the blue Danube is particularly stunning. Today you only cycle for a few kilometres until you reach the Wachau region. Just the name makes everyone’s mouth water! For as colourful the surroundings of the Wachau region, as diverse are also the delicious regional natural products such as apricots and apples. The Wachau-region offers delicious regional cuisine on the hightest level for the whole family and at great value!
Wachau – Krems
Melk - the gateway to the Wachau! A visit to the monumental Benedictine monastery is simply almost a must. Then your tour continues just as the whim takes you: are you taking a break from cycling and instead embark on a fun boat trip to Krems or do you fancy disembarking the boat earlier, in Spitz or Dürnstein, and cycle the final kilometres? Alternatively, do you prefer to cycle the entire route to Krems? One way or another, a varied scenery, lovingly laid out vineyards and vast plains await you!
During the first few kilometres you enjoy a leisurely train journey to Tulln from where you start your final cycling stage to Vienna. The feeling is simply overwhelming, when you cycle the final kilometres across the ‚Danube Island‘ reaching the end of the holiday in Austria’s capital. And finally the moment is here: a visit to the Prater in Vienna, featuring a haunted house, a wax museum and the probably most renowned Ferris wheel in the whole world, awaits the entire family. But also a stroll along ‚Mariahilfer Straße‘, a break in one of the numerous cafés and some time spent in the zoo ‚Schönbrunn‘ would be nice. Vienna in itself is a unique, magnificent highlight!
Departure or Extra Days
Today you have to say good bye to the lovely Vienna!
The terrain along the river Danube is flat or slightly downhill, you cycle neary all the way on a well-maintained cycle path without any motor-driven traffic. Only on very short section do you cycle on side roads. This cycle path is a prime example for the perfect cycle path!
3***- and 4**** hotels
Child prices valid if they are staying in same room as 2 full price adults. Charges for children under 6 (for example Child bed) to be paid for at the time.
- 7 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- Train journey Krems – Tulln, bike included
- Luggage transfer between hotels
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel information 1 x per room with route maps or overview maps, route description, tourist attractions, important telephone numbers
- GPS-Data available
- Service hotline
- Half-board evening meal (mostly several courses, sometimes off-site, payable with voucher)
- Bike rental, including rental bike insurance
- Entrance fee for Grottenbahn-ride on Mount Pöstlingberg, approx. EUR 5,50 per adult and approx. EUR 3,50 per child
- Entrance fee for Celtic Village Mitterkirchen, approx. EUR 8 per adult and approx. EUR 5 per child
- Boat ride from the Wachau to Krems, approx. EUR 28 per adult and approx. EUR 14 per child
Things to note
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!
- Airport Linz, Munich or Vienna.
- Arrival by train in Linz and by taxi to the hotel in just a few minutes, EUR 6 to 10 per ride, payable on site.
- Parking: Hotel underground carpark approx. EUR 12 per day, or underground carpark in Linz, approx. EUR 17 per day, no reservation possible, payable on site.
- Return journey by train in approx. 1,5 hours, approx. EUR 22 per person.
- No minimum age.
- Requirements: basic fitness level and cycling skills. The route is ideal for families.
- The terrain along the river Danube is flat or slightly downhill, you cycle neary all the way on a well-maintained cycle path without any motor-driven traffic. Only on very short section do you cycle on side roads. This cycle path is a prime example for the perfect cycle path!