Donauwörth - Passau
Along the German Danube.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Your trip begins in the beautiful city Donauwörth, where the former most important trade route between Nürnberg and Augsburg crosses over the Danube. Booked rental bicycles will be available for collection at your hotel.
You will once again speed along today’s route on good quality surfaces. Just before Marxheim you will come to the foothills of the Franconian Jura which will introduce some small hills to your cycle. Don’t miss a visit to the old town of Neuburg before continuing on towards Ingolstadt. The Museum Mobile is worth a visit. Or why not take a stroll through the old town within the old fortified walls.
The tour leads mainly directly through the Danube floodplains alongside the river. Near Bad Gögging you will reach the ancient Roman cultural landscape, in Weltenburg the famous monastery and the majestic Danube Gap.
Today’s route leads you to Regensburg, the most northerly point of the Danube and the best preserved city in Germany, a world cultural monument by UNESCO.
You should take your first break of the day at the Walhalla Temple near Donaustauf. Your trip then continues on along the Danube which curves along the broad, flat landscape in generous meanders. You will pass Wörth Castle and find yourself in the middle of the so-called “Gäuboden” landscape. Today`s destination is the town of Straubing, which looks back on a Celtic and Roman past and has a distinctive town tower.
Today you will firstly cycle through Bogen, which attained fame in 1104 when a statue of a pregnant Madonna was found. You will then continue on through Pfelling and Mariaposching and on to the Benedictine Abbey of Metten, before coming to Deggendorf, the gateway to the Bavarian Forest.
In no time at all you will reach your destination, the three-river city and former diocesan town of Passau. Take time to discover the Danube, Inn and Ilz on a boat trip and round off your holiday with a stroll through the old town or a visit to the Feste Oberhaus Fortress.
Departure or extension
After breakfast you may return home or extend your stay.
To a large extent the route is flat and along asphalt paths, some parts of the path run along compressed earthen paths. Comfortable.
Category: hotels and inns of 3***-niveau
- Accommodation in the mentioned category
- Breakfast or breakfast buffet
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German, English, Dutch, French, Italian, Spanish with route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers)
- 1 Entree Museum Mobile, Ingolstadt
- 1 Boat journey Weltenburg-Kelheim incl. bike
- Service hotline
- Bike rental, including rental bike insurance
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Donauwörth or Wörnitzstein train station
- Munich airport
- Public Multy-storey car park in Donauwörth costs approx. EUR 5 per day, no reservation possible
- Good train connection Passau - Donauwörth
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!