Rothenburg - Regensburg
Altmühltal Cycle Path.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
The city is the embodiment of medieval city romance and was perpetuated from artists as Spitzweg and Richter. Make a tour through Rothenburg with the nightwatchman.
You cycle from valley Taubertal to the Altmühl origin in the former residence city Ansbach with precious rococo palace. (Cat.A) or directly from Colmberg to Herrieden (Cat.B)
Ansbach – Weißenburg/Wettelsheim (Cat. A) or Herrieden - Wettelsheim/Treuchlingen (Cat. B)55-65 km
Through meadows and range land to Gunzenhausen, the centre of the Franconia lake area. In Graben you will find the leftover of a canal project which was planned from Charlemagne. Afterwards you continue to Weißenburg, famous for its roman excavations.
On your today’s bike tour the valley get narrower, river Altmühl cuts deeply into the Jura Mountain. Fortresses seem the way and Eichstätt presents itself as former bishop’s city in lovely baroque style.
Within a few kilometres you reach the reconstructed roman castle Vetoniana. You continue through a picturesque nature park which is coined through cedar heathland. Along imposing fortress Kipfenberg to the well preserved medieval city Beilngries.
First goal is Dietfurt, here you reach the Rhine-Main-Danube canal. Fortress Prunn and the stalactite cave Schulerloch are interesting places of interest, before you reach the Danube in Kelheim. Already from afar you can see the Liberation Hall high above. .
Today the route is short, but very interesting. You go by boat through the romantic Danube opening to monastery Weltenburg, which is located picturesque on a sandbank. You continue unhurried to Regensburg which applies as best preserved big city.
Departure or extension
At the first two stages slightly hilly, afterwards mostly flat. Suitable for families.
Category A: Hotels of 3***-niveau
Category B: Hotels of 2**- and 3***-niveau
- Accommodation in your selected category
- Breakfast buffet
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German, English, Dutch with route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers)
- 1 City tour Nachtwächter Rothenburg
- 1 Boat tour Kelheim-Weltenburg-Kelheim excl. Bike
- Return transfer Regensburg - Rothenburg incl. Bike (only in Cat. A)
- Service Hotline
- Bike rental, including rental bike insurance
- Return transfer by minibus to Rothenburg daily, costs EUR 89 per person incl. your bike, to be paid for in advance, reservation is necessary. In Category A this transfer is included.
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Rothenburg train station
- Nürnberg, Frankfurt or Munich airport
- Rothenburg: Free, parking at the train station, limited number
car park at the hotel approx. EUR 5 - 15 per day, no reservation possible, to be paid for at the time
- Regensburg: Public garage approx. 15 minutes from the hotel, approx. EUR 10 per day
- Good train connection from Regensburg to Rothenburg
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- You can book extra nights for any day of your tour. Prices upon request!
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!