Itinerary at a glance
The city is the embodiment of medieval city romance and was perpetuated from artists as Spitzweg and Richter. Make a tour through Rothenburg with the nightwatchman.
You cycle from valley Taubertal to the Altmühl origin in the former residence city Ansbach with precious rococo palace. (Cat.A) or directly from Colmberg to Herrieden (Cat.B)
Through meadows and range land to Gunzenhausen, the centre of the Franconia lake area. In Graben you will find the leftover of a canal project which was planned from Charlemagne. Afterwards you continue to Weißenburg, famous for its roman excavations.
On your today’s bike tour the valley get narrower, river Altmühl cuts deeply into the Jura Mountain. Fortresses seem the way and Eichstätt presents itself as former bishop’s city in lovely baroque style.
Within a few kilometres you reach the reconstructed roman castle Vetoniana. You continue through a picturesque nature park which is coined through cedar heathland. Along imposing fortress Kipfenberg to the well-preserved medieval city Beilngries.
First goal is Dietfurt, here you reach the Main-Danube canal. Fortress Prunn and the stalactite cave Schulerloch are interesting places of interest, before you reach the Danube in Kelheim. Already from afar you can see the Liberation Hall high above.
Today the route is short, but very interesting. You go by boat through the romantic Danube opening to monastery Weltenburg, which is located picturesque on a sandbank. You continue unhurried to Regensburg which applies as best preserved big city.
Your bike tour ends after breakfast.
Other variations of this tour
At the first two stages slightly hilly, afterwards mostly flat.
Prices and dates
Category A: hotels of 3***- level
Category B: hotels, inns, and guest houses of 2**- and 3***-level
Services & Information
Further details about this tour
- Accommodation in your selected category
- Luggage transfer
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German, English, Dutch, French)
- 1 Boat tour Kelheim-Weltenburg-Kelheim excl. Bike (only in Cat. A incl. bike)
- Return transfer Regensburg – Rothenburg incl. Bike (only in Cat. A), Reservation is necessary
- Bike rental, including rental bike insurance
- Return transfer by minibus to Rothenburg daily in the morning, costs EUR 89 per person, for your own bike additionally EUR 39, to be paid for in advance, reservation is necessary. In Category A this transfer is included.
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber train station
- Nuremberg, Frankfurt/Main or Munich airport
- Free parking at the train station
Things to note
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!
- This tour is a partner tour.
"I look forward to making your vacation dreams come true."