Rothenburg - Regensburg
Altmühltal Cycle Path.
Fair Weather Cyclist
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
The city is the embodiment of medieval city romance and was perpetuated from artists as Spitzweg and Richter. Make a tour through Rothenburg with the nightwatchman.
You cycle from valley Taubertal to the Altmühl origin in the former residence city Ansbach with precious rococo palace. (Cat.A) or directly from Colmberg to Herrieden (Cat.B)
Through meadows and range land to Gunzenhausen, the centre of the Franconia lake area. In Graben you will find the leftover of a canal project which was planned from Charlemagne. Afterwards you continue to Weißenburg, famous for its roman excavations.
On your today’s bike tour the valley get narrower, river Altmühl cuts deeply into the Jura Mountain. Fortresses seem the way and Eichstätt presents itself as former bishop’s city in lovely baroque style.
Within a few kilometres you reach the reconstructed roman castle Vetoniana. You continue through a picturesque nature park which is coined through cedar heathland. Along imposing fortress Kipfenberg to the well preserved medieval city Beilngries.
First goal is Dietfurt, here you reach the Rhine-Main-Danube canal. Fortress Prunn and the stalactite cave Schulerloch are interesting places of interest, before you reach the Danube in Kelheim. Already from afar you can see the Liberation Hall high above. .
Today the route is short, but very interesting. You go by boat through the romantic Danube opening to monastery Weltenburg, which is located picturesque on a sandbank. You continue unhurried to Regensburg which applies as best preserved big city.
Departure or extension
At the first two stages slightly hilly, afterwards mostly flat. Suitable for families.
Category A: Hotels of 3***- level
Category B: good guest houses and middle class hotels
- Accommodation in your selected category
- Breakfast buffet or an extensive breakfast
- If half board is booked: every day a 3 course meal
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Detailed travel documents
- City tour Nachtwächter Rothenburg
- Boat tour Kelheim-Weltenburg-Kelheim excl. Bike
- Rental bike insurance
- Service Hotline
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Rothenburg train station
- Regensburg: Public garage approx. 15 minutes from the hotel, € 10 per day
- Rothenburg: Free, parking at the train station, limited number
- Transfer by minibus back to Rothenburg every Friday, Saturday and Sunday, duration about 2 ½ hours, € 60 incl. bike (reservation necessary,to be paid for at the time ).