Arrival in Lienz
Arrival in Lienz in Eastern Tyrol located at the confluence of the rivers Isel and Drau. With a total of two thousand sunshine hours annually it is Austria’s sunniest holiday region. The breathtaking panorama onto the Alps and the Lienz-Dolomites will excite you.
A train ride takes you comfortably together with your bikes from Lienz to Toblach, located shortly before the Italian border. The river Drau is still a young river in this section, babbling and breaking her way through the narrow Pustertal-valley. Defiant fortresses, castels and palaces rise majestically above the valley and herald desires of the once rich and powerful. Modest Romanesque chapels, Gothic and Baroque churches, crucifixes and piety columns invite for a short break. Over a long distance the rugged, bizzare rockfaces of the Lienz-Dolomites tower over the landscape and hence turn today’s stage into an unforgettable experience. Day Finish again in Lienz.
From Lienz, the confluence of the rivers Isel and Drau, you again follow the river Drau now appearing in a shade of gray, by the locals called ‚glacier milk‘, which is due to very fine rock particles coming from the gigantic rocks. Along ancient Roman trade routes – past ruins, castles, little churches and wayside crosses – you cycle through the picturesque Oberdrautal-valley. En route you pass pretty villages such as Pirkach, Oberdrauburg and the first market town on Carinthian soil, Dellach.
Today you cycle mostly along the river Drau through the marvellous Carinthian farmland featuring forests, fields, old farm houses and little hamlets. Cosy wine taverns, called ‚Buschenschenken‘ await with proper farm food and invite you to take a break. Past time-honoured farm houses decorated with flowers the well-developed Drau cycle path takes you to Spittal an der Drau. The centre of Spittal features a main square, which you might call ‚cute‘ and a particularly beautiful palace, which is considered one of the most impressive Renaissance building with the clearest style in all of Central Europe and is called ‚Porcia‘ named after the previous owners.
Today you cycle through the ‚Cultural Promenade of Upper Corinthia‘. You leave the area of Spital along the river Drau and immerse yourself into an ancient cultural scenery, meadows and forests and idyllic wetland- areas. Past Kellerberg palace always along the river Drau you reach Villach. The heart of Villach features the pretty old part of town with its Italian flair and the cosy pubs and restaurants. The Drau-metropolis presents itself to visitors adequately as vivacious and oozing southern flair. Part of the character of the town is definitely the river Drau, meandering through Villach just like a blue ribbon.
Today’s tour leads you through the enchanting Rosental.-valley. The Karawanks-mountain range and the river Drau offer a more than impressive backdrop for an unforgettable day of cycling. Amazing conglomerate rocks flank the river and again and again offer fascinating views. On one of these rocks Hollenburg castle rises, the landmark of the Rosental-valley. If you fancy slightly extending the in comparison rather short tour, we recommend en route a detour to Velden or embark on a round trip to Lake Faaker See.
Along beautifully designed dam-paths the cycling tour leads you through meadows and fields and past little hamlets towards the giant Völkermarkter-reservoir. Now you bid farewell to your loyal companion the river Drau, so you get to enjoy Lake Klopeiner See with its marvellous location. Time to drink in the lakescape and leave all your cares behind.
The Drau cycle path mainly runs flat and mostly directly along the Drau-riverbank, is perfectly developed, leads on either asphalt, sand or fine gravel and is signposted throughout.
Category: 3*** and 4**** hotels, inns and pensions
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- Breakfast buffet
- Welcome briefing (German, English)
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- EUROBIKE developed route
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German, English
- 1 train ride Lienz – Toblach incl. your bike
- GPS-data is available
- Service hotline
- Half-board evening meal (mostly multi-course, sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)
- Return transfer by minibus to Lienz every Sunday morning, costs EUR 79 per person incl. your bike, to be paid for in advance, reservation is necessary
- Bike rental, including rental bike insurance
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Lienz train station
- The next regional train station from Lake Klopeinersee is Völkermarkt-Kühnsdorf, approx. 5 km away and Klagenfurt main train station with ICE-connection approx. 20 km away.
- Hotel underground car park in Lienz approx. EUR 8 per day, no reservation possible public car park near the hotel approx. EUR 13 per week, parking spaces free of charge at the edge of town.
Things to note
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Further important information according to the package travel law and additional information about your bike and boat trip can be found here!