Arrival in Oldenburg
Possibility to make a stroll through the town.
On your first stage you cycle through Ammerland with tidy little rhododendron gardens. Health resort Bad Zwischenahn on Zwischenahner Sea has a well-known speciality to offer: Smoortaal – fresh smoked eel. You pass the highest elevation of Eastern-Friesland (18 m) near Remels and reach Wiesmoor.
Through Fehn-settlements you reach Aurich with historic centre. The ancient East-Friesian capital was ruled during centuries by East-Friesian chieftains and dukes. Along Ems-Jade-Canal you cycle to sea-port Emden. Emden once was one of the wealthiest harbours of Europe; nevertheless it never joined the Hanse.
You cycle through „Krummhörn“to picturesque fisher village Greetsiel, the biggest crab-fisher port of Weser-Ems region. Don’t pass by without having a couple of fresh shrimps. Past the bay of Ley – where you might be lucky to spot seals – you cycle to Norden.
Excursion to island Norderney or rest day
The ferry takes about 1 hour from Norddeich to the island, which is ideally suited to be explored by bicycle. (ferry cruise is not included in the package price). Alternative: Bicycle tour along the coast and the national park Wattenmeer (mudflats) or you visit the harbour seal station in Norddeich.
Leaving Norden you stay close to the coast and cycle on the dyke to Dornum with the most beautiful water-castle of East-Friesland. Cycling through the marshes you reach the ancient East-Friesian chieftain seat Esens with a medieval old town.
Leaving Wittmund your first stop is castle Gödens. Along Zeteler marsh you cycle to Jadebusen. Nestling between forest and sea Varel with Dangast, the oldest North Sea bath on Niedersachsen’s coast, constitutes an attraction not only for art-lovers, who wish to follow the traces of famous Expressionists (Radziwill-museum). You continue cycling along Jadebusen and reach today’s destination, the town Varel, in the afternoon.
On winding roads through Ammerland you cycle to animal- and fun park Jaderberg, home for more than 600 animals. Rastede used to be summer residence of Oldenburg’s dukes and earls. You cycle through the spacious park back to Oldenburg.
Eastern Friesland and the island Norderney are perfect areas for cycling. All routes are most of time flat! You cycle mainly on asphalted or plastered country lanes, sometimes on minor roads. This tour is adequate for beginners or bike groups.
Category A: well-kept 3*** and 4**** hotels
Category B: Hotels, guesthouses and pensions, mostly in the 3*** level, partial situated at the outskirts of the cities
- Accommodation in the mentioned category
- Breakfast or extended breakfast
- Personal welcome briefing (German, English)
- Luggage transfer from Hotel to Hotel
- Best elaborated route
- Detailed travel documents and maps 1 x per room (German, English with route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers
- GPS-Tracks on request available
- Service hotline
- Bike rental, including rental bike insurance
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Oldenburg train station
- Bremen and Hamburg airport
- Free parking at the start hotel
- Multi-storey car park costs approx. EUR 5 per day, no reservation possible, to be paid for at the time
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!