Arrival in Dresden
Individual arrival to Dresden, distribution of rental bikes (if booked) and welcome briefing in the hotel. Afterwards possibility to stroll through the baroque old city of Dresden. Discover the well-known beauty and magic of the city with places of interest as Zwinger, Frauenkirche, palace and Semper opera.
The bicycle path leads directly along the Elbe to Bad Schandau. By ferry cruise to palace Pillnitz, enjoy the unique view onto the baroque building. You continue by bike upstream to the bizarre sandstone mountains. A short climb onto Bastei Mountain is worth it. A wonderful view onto the Elbe Sandstone Mountains and the course of the river reward you for your efforts. Return journey from Bad Schandau to Dresden by bike (approx. 90 km) or suburban train (approx. 45 km).
You cycle in the Elbe valley along the Saxon vineyards and pass the city of Radebeul, which is associated with Karl May. Within a few more kilometres you reach Meißen. The picturesque alleys of the historic old city invite for a stroll. Worth while: Albrechtsburg and the world famous Meissen chine manufacture!
Today you go a bit more through Germany’s most northern vineyards. Taste the regional wines! The baroque castle Diesbar-Seußlitz with its wonderful park is a good place for rest. Accommodation is in the town of Riesa or Strehla.
You follow river Elbe downstream to Mühlberg with former Cistercian monastery and Electoral Saxony’s milepost. You should not miss the Treblitz Tree Park with trees and bushes from five continents. Destination of the day is Torgau with nice town hall in renaissance style, residence palace Hartenfels and church St. Marien.
From Saxony-Anhalt you cycle via palace Lichtenberg and Pretzsch in direction Wittenberg. After your arrival in the city where Martin Luther posted his theses, you have the possibility to make a trip down memory lane. The Luther Hall, Wittenberg’s most interesting building, has the biggest historic collection on the Reformation. The old city of Wittenberg was restored lovely too. The beautiful shops and restaurants are guaranteeing a wonderful evening.
From Luther city Wittenberg downstream. In Coswig by ferry across the river to Wörlitzer park with beautiful and generous park. You continue towards Dessau (Mecca for architecture aficionados) and through biosphere reserve Mittlere Elbe, which is an ideal place for numerous animals, particularly for beavers and gray herons. You reach the buildings which were built through Walter Gropius in the nineteen-twenties with its distinctive and functional elements when you enter the village of Dessau.
Today you follow the river Elbe, cycling through lush river meadows and biosphere reserves. Shortly before the town Barby with the castle, the river Saale flows into the Elbe. You pass by the remarkable old salt-town Schönebeck and the oldest salt-lye health resort Bad Salzelmen. The city Magdeburg with the famous dome nowadays is one of the most important river port of East Germany and a little jewel for everybody interested in history and art. Overnight in Magdeburg
Daily routes from 25 to 70 km in flat and slightly hilly terrain. The Elbe cycle path offers the possibility to cycle on car-free roads along one of the most beautiful and most important rivers in Germany. Other sections lead along small country roads and paths with less traffic through diversified river landscape.
Kategorie A: 4****- und 3***-Hotels und Gasthöfe
Kategorie B: 3***-Mittelklassehotels
- Accommodation in your selected category
- Breakfast buffet or extended breakfast
- Welcome briefing (German, English)
- Luggage transfer
- Best elaborated route
- Detailed travel information 1x per room (German, English, French)
- GPS-data available
- Half-board evening meal (mostly multi-course, sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)
- Bike rental, including rental bike insurance
- Return journey by minivan to Dresden, this costs € 65 per person incl. your bike, reservation is necessary.
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Dresden train station
- Dresden airport
- Hotel Category A: Multi-storey car park, costs € 14 per night (off 5 nights)
Hotel Category B: Multi storey car park, costs € 6 per day also Free parking close to the hotel.
- Good train connections to Dresden
Things to note:
- You can book this tour also with start from Magdeburg to Dresden. Please consider that no personal welcome meeting will be held and the route description and the road maps need to be read in reverse. The prices are the same, a daily arrival is possible.
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!