Arrival in Bamberg
Start the trip with a walk of the city of Emperor Heinrich II, who dreamed of Bamberg, realised and loved it and who was interred in the dome.
You will be cycling through the valley, following the Main. Today’s stage will leisurly take you through wine villages and orchards along the river. Later, you will cycle through Haßfurt and finally reach Schhweinfurt in Lower Franconia, with its beautiful Holy Trinity church.
In the pilgrimage church Maria im Weingarten, which was built in the 15th century, you will find the famous floating Madonna in the Rosary by Riemenschneider. Volkach is the centre of the Maindreieck wine region.The Main continues meandering along the valley towards Kitzingen, which is famous as it boasts the oldest wine cellar in Germany.
The river and along with it the Main cycle path, makes a dramatic turn and lead you towards the Franconian metropolis of Würzburg. You shouldn't miss the Baroque Castle here and the World Heritage Site of the Würzburger Residenz Palace, which towers high above the town. Also worth to look at are the Old Bridge and the traiditional vineyards within the city. The way onwards to Zellingen and Karlstadt takes you along nice and easy paths.
Another day of beautiful old towns and vivious landscapes awaits you! You will coast along flat paths via the Three-River-Town of Gemünden to Lohr with its historic buildings. Enjoy the quiet and relaxed atmosphere in the small towns along the road. In Marktheidenfeld, just in between Main and the hills of Spessart you can enjoy your night with a refreshing drink.
You should visit Wertheim Castle, which towers over the town and gives you a magnificent panoramic view. After the next river turn you will recognize Stadtprozelten with one of the most beautiful castle ruins just above town, the Henneburg castle. Your destination for today, Miltenberg, is famous for its picturesque old marketplace, and for the Gasthaus zum Riesen inn, which already housed emporor Barbarossa.
Today, you will be cycling alongside to ships on the river Main and first reach Miltenberg with its vineyards and local, traditional wine pups. Through the magnificent landscape you cycle onwards to toda's final destination Aschaffenburg, the "Spessart metropolis". From afar you can see the four towers of Johannisburg castle.
You cycle almost 100% on cycle path along river Main, mainly flat and no major climbs. We recommend this tour for beginners and families.
Category A: hotels of 3***- and 4****-Niveau
Category B: Hotels and Inns of 2**- and 3***-Niveau
- Accommodation in your selected category
- Breakfast buffet or an extensive breakfast
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (DE, EN, NL with route maps, route descriptions, local attractions, important telephone numbers)
- Service hotline
- Bike rental, including rental bike insurance
- Return transfer by minibus to Bamberg every sunday morning, costs EUR 69 per person incl. your bike, to be paid for in advance, reservation is necessary
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Bamberg train station
- Nürnberg, Frankfurt am Main airport
- Multi-storey car park in Bamberg costs approx EUR 45 per week, to be paid for at the time, no reservation possible.
Public unattended P+R car park at the outskirts of the city
- Good train connections from Aschaffenburg to Bamberg
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!