Ruhr Valley Cycle Path: Winterberg - Duisburg
From the source to the estuary.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Arrival in Winterberg
Individual arrival at Winterberg, which is located in the mellow hills of Sauerland. This famous holiday resort is start point of your bicycle holiday.
You start your tour at the source at approx. 654 m altitude close to Winterberg. Relax in the award winning village Assinghausen with its timbered houses and the old granary and explore in the afternoon the mine of Ramsbeck. Cycle through the land of the 1000 mountains and further on to Bestwig. Don’t worry: today you will cycle more downhill than uphill.
Deeply incised the Ruhr takes its course and is surrounded by the forest of Arnsberg. In the afternoon you will have enough time to visit Arnsberg with its neo-classical quarters and its picturesque historic centre.
Today you will reach the wideness of the Soester Börde passing the little village Wickede and the city of Neheim. Enjoy this wonderful bike tour through fields and hayfields of the Ruhr valley, stroll through the historic centre of Neheim and make a break at one of the most beautiful hayfields of the Ruhr.
Today the bike path of the Ruhr valley continues between the Soester Börde and the well-wooded Sauerland. On your way don’t miss to visit the historic centre of Schwerte where it’s worth visiting the mill of mustard and the museum of the Ruhr valley. Be surprised by the stone pit Ebberg and by the fortress of Hohensyburg. Enjoy cycling along Hengstey- and Harkotsee until you reach the nice village Herdecke or Witten.
Expect a special highlight today. After a few kilometres you will get to the Mutten valley. You should visit the very interesting industrial museum “Zeche Nachtigall”. You will take the ferry on the Ruhr to the lake of Kemnader which is a popular recreational area. Don’t miss to stroll through the historic centre of Hattingen, before you reach the Baldeney lake with its numerous sailing boats, the villa Hügel founded in 1873 by the industrialist Alfred Krupp.
The last cycling day again offers a lot of highlights. The water museum Aquarius in Mühlheim-Styrum and of course Duisburg with its biggest domestic port of Europe. Your bike tour ends where the Ruhr flows into the Rhine.
Departure or extension
We suggest staying one day longer in order to do a harbour tour and to visit the natural park Duisburg-North.
Flat, with a trendy downgoing course on bike paths or quiet side roads with just a few ascents in the Sauerland. On the first two days of cycling are short gradients to overcome.
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- Breakfast buffet or extended breakfast
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (DE, EN, FR) with route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers
- City tax
- Service hotline
- Return transfer Duisberg - Winterberg incl. bike, min. 4 persons, at 10 am, duration ca. 2,5 hours, € 70,- per person (reservation necessary)
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Good connections to the train station Winterberg. The hotel is situated just a few walking minutes from the station.
- Possibility for parking the car near the hotel (sometimes for free, no reservation possible, to pay on spot).
- Transfer Duisburg – Winterberg with bike and luggage € 70 per person (minimum 4 persons, duration approx. 2,5 hours, departure at about 10 am), reservation is necessary
- Alternatively you can go back by train (changing once in Dortmund, duration approx. 2,5 hours Without reservation limited space on the train)
Things to note:
- Minimum number of participants is 2 people
- Special arrangements upon request
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!