Arrival in Saarbrücken
You arrive into the capital of the Saarland. An early arrival is highly recommended: There are many sights and places to visit. The so-called St. Johanner market offers a lot of boutiques, pubs, bistros and restaurants. It is the heart of the city and gives you very quickly a holiday feeling. Your rental bikes will be delivered the next morning to your hotel.
The Saar River will escort you out of the city. Soon you will reach a former coal mining. The so-called Völklinger Hütte nowadays belongs to the World heritage. Only a short distance and you will cycle into Saarlouis - in the past a well-known French fortress town. Take enough time for a comprehensive visit of the old part of this town.
Today you cycle through the so-called Merziger country, in German often called „Äppelkischd“. In the region of Mettlach you will reach the Saar loop - for sure one of the most impressive landscapes of Germany. We recommend a short hike up on a small hill, which will be rewarded with an outstanding view into that amazing scenery!
Also today you will follow the shore of the River Saar which will lead you through lovely forests until you reach Saarburg with its majestic castle. The further you cycle, the more the landscape is changing: From forests into wine yards. In Konz the River Saar runs into the Moselle River. The latter one will escort you into Trier. There you will discover a lot of roman relicts.
Departure or extension
In Trier there is much to discover. If you are interested in, we would be pleased to book some extra nights for you. Our transfer from Trier to Saarbrücken is very comfortable (possible each Thursday and Saturday, start directly from your hotel, reservation required at time of booking).
Overall the quality of the paths is very good. Starting with Saarbrücken you mostly cycle close to the Saar River on own bike paths. The last part from Konz to Trier runs along the Moselle River, on an own bike path, too. The total distance is very well signposted.
Category: middleclass hotels and guesthouses
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- Breakfast buffet
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Well developed route
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German, English with route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers)
- Service hotline
- Half board evening meal (mostly multi-course, sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)
- Return transfer by minibus to Saarbrücken every day, departure at 11.30 a.m., this costs EUR 55 per person incl. your bike, to be paid at the time of reservation, reservation is necessary
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Saarbrücken central train station
- Saarbrücken airport
- Mostly parking at the hotel or close to the hotel possible, costs upon request, no reservation possible/necessary
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!