Thuringian Basin - Loop Tour
Discover the most beautiful places of Eldorado.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Arrival in Eisenach
An early arrival is worthwhile, because the Wartburgstadt Eisenach awaits you with its wonderful city center, museums, Wartburg, Lutherhaus and churches. All the sights tell of the interesting history, the personalities and legends of the city. After your tour of the city, we will welcome you in the evening for personal tour information and bike delivery in your starting hotel in Eisenach. Your quiet start to your cycling trip through the Thuringian Basin!
Cycle on Werratal-cycle path through the wild and idyllic Werra breakthrough. You cycle past the dominating Treffurter fortress Normannstein, on flat river cyclepaths to Mühlhausen, a place with many gates and once proud owner of 59 church spires.
Today you touch the geographic centre of Germany on the gate to nature park Hainich. There would be a shorter option via Unstrut river cyclepath. Bad Langensalza is circumvented by an almost completely preserved fortification wall and historic old town. Continue on Unstrut cyclepath into the capital Erfurt with the medieval old town
Cross the bridge Krämerbrücke which is unique in Europe, the longest bridge that is completely covered by buildings that are still lived in. Continue your tour through farmland, via Thuringian City Trail to Weimar. The great city of German cultural heritage is 1000 years old. Great names are connected with Weimar: Goethe, Schiller, Herder, Cranach, Bach, Liszt and many more.
A short trip by train to University city Jena. On Saale river cyclepath you pedal through lovely changing scenery with fortresses, castles, churches and historic mills. It is the wine paradise of Thuringia. The last kilometre follow the Ilmtal cycle path into the very heart of the Thuringian basin before you return to Weimar.
On the very well developed Ilmtal cycle path you glide through the Thuringian Forest and Stadtilm. Continue cycling to Arnstadt – the “doll’s town” enchanting and with a 1300 year long history
Today you cycle through Thuringian regin of fortresses! Of special interest is the ensemble of three fortresses “Drei Gleichen”. The legend had there once a globe lightning incinerated all three fortresses in one go. The bright flames were widely visible and left three mysterious ruins with scenic views across the Thuringian basin. Continue along the Thuringian City Trail to Esenach.
Departure or extension
Usually well-developed cycle paths, or little frequented side roads, with hilly sections. Only at the entrances and exits of the townships can traffic be expected to increase.
Category: 3***- and 4****-hotels and pensions
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- Breakfast buffet
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German, English with route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers)
- 1 Guided city tour Eisenach (German) and entrance fees o.a.: Wartburg, Bach- and Luther house and Automobile exhibition, city castle
- 1 Thuringian sausage snack
- 1 Guided city tour Erfurt (German) and entrance fees o.a.: museum for Thuringian folklore, EGA park, zoological garden
- 1 Guided city tour Weimar (German) and entrance fees o.a.: Goethe National Museum, Weimar house, Goethe garden house, Bauhaus, castle Belvedere, city museum, Liszt house, city castle
- 1 Train journey from Weimar – Jena incl. bike
- Service hotline
- Half-board evening meal (mostly multi-course, sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Eisenach train station
- Erfurt or Weimar airport
- Free parking at the hotel, no reservation possible/necessary
- Free public parking close to the hotel, no reservation possible.
- Closed car park at the office of the operator, this costs approx. EUR 5 per night, to be paid for at the time, no reservation possible
- Public multi storage car park in Eisenach, this costs approx. EUR 8 per day, to be paid for at the time, no reservation possible.
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!