Passau - Budapest - Passau, MS Carissima
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Embark at 4.30pm. Located at the confluence of the Danube, Inn and Ilz, Passau has numerous interesting sites to visit. Use your free time and stroll through the cobblestoned old town centre, listen to the bells of Passau’s Gothic Town Hall or have a look at the world’s largest Catholic Church organ in the Passau Cathedral. At 6.00pm. the boat gets going! Passau's beautiful old town slowly disappears into the distance.
Your first day’s tour begins with a ride through the classic scenery of the ‘Great Loop’ Donauschlinge - one of the most beautiful sections of the Danube. Along the way you will encounter tiny villages and cozy cider taverns. In Austria’s only Trappist monastery at Engelhartszell you can taste their delicious liquors and cheese. The famous ‘Schlogener View’ provides a wonderful panorama of the surrounding Austrian countryside. The boat welcomes all cyclists back on board in the charming market town of Aschach. The boat will cruise through the night.
You pedal along the former ‘Iron Curtain’ on a little cycle path and you will arrive at Hof's imposing Imperial Palace with its beautifully terraced gardens. Follow the bike path through Austria’s ‘vegetable garden’ to the coronation city of Bratislava and the slopes of the Little Carpathian. Discover the hidden alleyways and sights of Bratislava on an optional city tour.
Arrival by boat to Budapest, Hungary's capital, is stunning. Savour the beauty of Budapest during a coach tour or a guided bike tour (optional) to discover many of the highlights of this beautiful city. You can also choose to cycle to the charming town of Szentendre with its Mediterranean atmosphere and lively art scene. You will get a very close experience of Hungarian culture at an evening show with traditional music and dance (optional).
Situated in the middle of the Danube River, the idyllic isle of Szentendre exudes silent Puszta romance. History, folklore and the Hungarian way of life will accompany you on your way to Esztergom where the gorgeous basilica – Hungary’s largest Catholic Church always impresses its guests.
Vienna(day of rest)
Discover Vienna's most beautiful attractions. During a city tour by bike or bus (optional) you will experience Vienna’s most famous examples of architecture: the imperial Hofburg, St. Stephens Cathedral, the gorgeous ‘Ring’-boulevard and the State Opera House, the Burgtheater and town hall and, of course, the colorful "Hundertwasserhaus". Take time to relax in one or more of Vienna’s famous cafés, while the evening ends impressively at a classical concert (optional) in one of Vienna‘s most famous palaces.
Your last bike ride on this tour is a special highlight! A powerful ruin looms above the small Baroque town of Durnstein, while the blue spire of the monastery church is a landmark of the renowned Wachau Valley. Amidst dreamy towns, apricot trees, vineyards and castles, this hilly landscape enchants everybody who visits ... you will be biking on cloud nine! In Weißenkirchen (possibility to do a wine-tasting – optional) you will find comfortable wine taverns along the bike path.
As you cruise back up the Danube enjoy the early morning sunshine on the as you wind your way back to Passau, where you’ll disembark at approx. 10.00am. We recommend that any connecting travel should be booked for 11.30am onwards to allow some contingency time.
The cycle route is mainly flat with just slight inclines. It is well-suited for hobby cyclists, beginners and children. Between Passau and Bratislava the Danube cycle route has been fully upgraded. If you don't fancy cycling on any day then you can simply travel to the day's destination on the boat instead.
- Program as mentioned in the tour itinerary from/to Passau
- 7 overnight stays in cabins with shower/toilet/air-condition in the booked cabin category
- Full board: breakfast, small lunch or packed lunch for your bike tour, coffee and cake in the afternoon, 3-course dinner
- Welcome cocktail and captain's welcome
- 1 Gala Dinner with farewell cocktail
- Daily live music
- Daily cleaning of cabins
- Linen and towels
- Daily briefing
- 1x brochure per cabin
- On-board tour representative (doesn't cycle with you)
Comfort Relax Package bookable: 06.05., 20.05., 03.06., 24.06., 15.07., 12.08., 02.09., 16.09., 30.09.
- Cycle tour guide
- Homemade cider tasting at a cider producer in the Upper Danube Valley
- Ferry rides
- Guided city tour by bike in Vienna & by HOP ON HOP OFF bus in Budapest
- Wine tasting with a local wine grower
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Parking space (fenced area) incl. transfer parking space – boat – parking space € 66,- (Application form in your travel documents)
- Covered parking incl. transfers from park garage – boat – park garage € 77,- (Application form in your travel documents)
- Transfer from Munich airport – Passau harbour about € 64,- one way, about € 109,- airport – harbour – airport, per person, a reservation is necessary
Number of participants
- Minimum of 50 people
- Schedule: Timetable and program are subject to changes. At time of extreme flooding or low water the boat company is allowed to transport you by bus or to cancel the whole tour. There is no demand against that (water level is subject to force majeure clause). This is also the case for unforeseeable incidents like the reparation of a water gate/bridge or if the engine were to break down. Please keep in mind that your boat is both your hotel and your transport. It has to move on at night as well. If you are sensitive to noise please bring earplugs with you. Locks being opened and closed and the boat's motor etc are noises that cannot be avoided.
- The bike tours are self-guided. All mentioned distances are approximate distances of recommend bike tours. Please note that the space in the cabins is limited. Please bring rain clothing (coat and trousers), a bike helmet, a sun hat and sunscreen as well as sports shoes.
The first thing you´ll experience when boarding on the MS Primadonna is the friendly atmosphere and the coziness of this river ship.