Lake Neusiedlersee - based in Podersdorf
Home of Austria’s Wine-Grower King.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Move into your room and take over the rental bicycles and tour documentation.
Wines with a worldwide reputation grow on soft hills, offering a fantastic view on the lake. Rust is said to be the town of storks. A stone-bust of the Turk of Purbach commemorates the story of one very drunk Turkish warrior who missed the general flight of his regiment and got stuck in a chimney. Enjoy the mild afternoon sun during a boat passage across the Lake.
Wines from Burgenland have an international reputation. During your cycle tour of the gently undulating vineyards you enjoy a stunning view of the lake. Castle Halbturn is the most important baroque building of the country Burgenland. If you are very lucky you can even spot one of the colourful bee-eaters, birds breeding in sand-caves during summer.
„Lacken“are approx. 50 cm deep salty ponds. This local attraction of Seewinkel was name-giver to the region – and obviously to the cycle path. You cycle past swampy meadows, willow trees and vineyards. Peacefully grazing Mangaliza swine and Przewalsky horses add to the unique experience.
Enjoy a day of recuperation, relaxing and many facilities of the Lake. Sailing, windsurfing or swimming. Or explore the recreational facilities of your hotel.
Cross the lake by ferry. From festival town Mörbisch you reach the Hungarian city Sopron. The historic old town with lively streets and alleys and medieval buildings has a colourful life. By ferry back to the other lake side.
Again you change to the opposite bank by ferry and cycle past vineyards and cherry trees (especially lovely in spring when all the trees are in full flush). Stunning views of the lake and the Hungarian plain let you forget the short climbs.
Departure or extension
The cycle paths are either asphalted or of hard natural surface. The countryside is flat, only in Hungary you have to consider a few hills/climbs. You can sometimes expect contrary wind.
Hotel: Hotel Seewirt or Hotel Attila in the chosen room category
- Accommodation in hotel Seewirt / hotel Attila in the chosen room category
- Breakfast buffet
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German, English with route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers)
- Lake Neusiedlersee Card (reduced or free entrance to museums, baths, ferries, public transport around the lake)
- 1 Handlebar bag per room
- 1 Entry St. Martins Therme & Lodge
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Neusiedl am See train station, via public bus to Podersdorf
- Hotel parking place free of charge, no reservation possible
- Airport Vienna or Bratislava (ideal with Air Berlin or Skyeurope), from Vienna Centre 1,5 hour by train and bus to Podersdorf.
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Ferry tickets are not included
- Since not all ferries start their service with 01.04., it can come to route changes!
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!