Itinerary at a glance
On Lake Neusiedl you will cycle through wine-growing areas and the reed beds. Watch the surfers and sailors, and perhaps you will encounter Przewalski's horses and storks. An excursion takes you to the charming border town of Sopron.
Move into your room and take over the rental bicycles and tour documentation.
Wines with a worldwide reputation grow on soft hills, offering a fantastic view on the lake. Rust is said to be the town of storks. A stone-bust of the Turk of Purbach commemorates the story of one very drunk Turkish warrior who missed the general flight of his regiment and got stuck in a chimney. Enjoy the mild afternoon sun during a boat passage across the Lake.
Wines from Burgenland have an international reputation. During your cycle tour of the gently undulating vineyards you enjoy a stunning view of the lake. Castle Halbturn is the most important baroque building of the country Burgenland. If you are very lucky you can even spot one of the colourful bee-eaters, birds breeding in sand-caves during summer.
"Lacken" are approx. 50 cm deep salty ponds. This local attraction of Seewinkel was name-giver to the region – and obviously to the cycle path. You cycle past swampy meadows, willow trees and vineyards. Peacefully grazing Mangaliza swine and Przewalsky horses add to the unique experience.
Enjoy a day of recuperation, relaxing and many facilities of the Lake. Sailing, windsurfing or swimming. Or explore the recreational facilities of your hotel.
Cross the lake by ferry. From festival town Mörbisch you reach the Hungarian city Sopron. The historic old town with lively streets and alleys and medieval buildings has a colourful life. By ferry back to the other lake side.
Again you change to the opposite bank by ferry and cycle past vineyards and cherry trees (especially lovely in spring when all the trees are in full flush). Stunning views of the lake and the Hungarian plain let you forget the short climbs.
The cycle paths are either on asphalt or of hard natural surface. The countryside is flat, only in Hungary where you will encounter a few hills/climbs. You can sometimes expect headwind.
Prices and dates
Category: see description
Services & Information
Further details about this tour
- Accommodation in hotel Seewirt / hotel Attila in the chosen room category
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German, English)
- Burgenland Card
- 1 Entry St. Martins Therme & Lodge
- App for navigation and GPS-Data
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Neusiedl am See train station, via public bus to Podersdorf
- Airport Vienna or Bratislava, from Vienna Centre 1,5 hour to Podersdorf.
- Rental bike insurance EUR 19 for rental bike, EUR 45 for electric bike
Things to note
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Ferry tickets are not included
- Since not all ferries start their service with 01.04., it can come to route changes!
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!