Arrival in Nantes
Discover the charms and secrets of this Art & History city settled on the Loire river banks: its magnificent houses in the old districts, its cathedral and its Ducs de Bretagne chateau.
This first bike stage will allow you to reach the Loire river estuary with its calm and wild landscapes, between marshlands and countryside ... before breathing salty and fresh sea air in Saint Brévin les Pins. Enjoy the beautiful beaches.
Discover the "oyster capital" of the Vendée area, former island now protected by dikes and polders, and unique in France. Observe the salt marshland workers and don't forget to taste some oysters at Port du Bec, enjoying the view over Noirmoutier island.
Follow the cycling paths through dunes and forests, and admire the 20th century villas all along the way. After the small loop on the Noirmoutier island, a beautiful fine white sand beach is waiting for you at Saint Jean de Monts.
Between Sion and St-Gilles-Croix-de-Vie, ride along the picturesque rocks of 'Cinq-Pinteaux' and 'Trou du Diable'. Discover the old fishing port of St-Hilaire-de-Riez before reaching the famous 'Vendée Globe' race departure town: Les Sables d’Olonne. There you can taste seafood products such as the well-known 'sablaise' sardine.
On the first part of this stage, you will ride close to the sea, from beaches to rocky creeks... before riding along the Payré estuary with its astonishing and contrasting colours. Leave your bike for a while to have a swim on one of the nice beaches such as Conche beach, before reaching La-Tranche-sur-Mer, a famous seaside resort dedicated to board sports.
Cycle through the dry part of the 'Marais Poitevin' and follow the ‘Voies Vertes’ cycling paths to enter the village of Marans. Have a look at the church and its surprising bell tower made of glass and metal. Continue to La Rochelle with its old towers, remains from the old defensive walls. You will enjoy the charms of the old city bathed with warm and sweet lights.
You cycle mainly on well-developed cycle paths, partially there are also segments on grit ways. The stages are generally hilly, with several climbs on stages 2 and 5.
Category A: 3*** and 4**** hotels (French classification)
Category B: 2** and 3*** hotels (French classification)
- Accommodation in your selected category
- Breakfast buffet or an extensive breakfast
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German, English, French with route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers)
- Service hotline
- Tourist tax
- Half-board evening meal (mostly multi-course, sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)
- Return transfer by minibus to Nantes costs EUR 270 per transfer for up to 5 persons, plus transport of your own bike costs EUR 15 per bike
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Nantes train station
- Nantes airport
- Public multi-storey car park “Talensac” in Nantes costs approx. EUR 8 per day
- Good train connections from La Rochelle to Nantes
Things to note:
Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!