Dordogne River Valley
By bike through the gorgeous Périgord.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Today is all about rivers! Starting from Bergerac you cycle on small hidden roads through charcteristic villages, forests and across vast fields, along the course of the river Dordogne. Although today’s route is relatively hilly, a swim in Limeuil awaits you as a reward, at the confluence of the rivers Vézère and Dordogne!
The terrain today is again slightly hilly. Eyzies-de-Tayac is world capital of the prehistory. Keep your eyes peeled for the Neanderthals! Afterwards you cycle through cool valleys and along untouched rivers with ample trout in it. We recommend a visit to the Château de Commarque, before arriving in the medieval village Sarlat in the late afternoon.
Fabulous sights are on today’s programme: Monfort and its palace and the fortifications of Domme, a medieval town located approx. 300 metres above the river! Please take your time to explore the little alleyways and little squares of Sarlat on foot.
Palaces in all varieties! We recommend you start early today, since there is so much to see! After leaving Sarlat you return to the Dordogne-valley at La Roque-Gageac. Here you are spoilt for choice: Beynac Palace, Castelnau Palace, Marqueyssac Palace, Fayrac Palace or mabye Les Milandes Palace? Afterwards you proceed to Siorac-en-Périgord or Belvés.
. The fortress of Belvès has reached it to maintain it´s charme all over the years. Over all these years the fortifications have managed to keep its charm. You continue through untouched scenery and pretty villages until you reach Beaumont du Périgord, an English ‚Bastide’ of the 13th century, which is towered over by its mighty church. You cycle through the Couze-valley, overlooking the clear water, past numerous mills, all the way to ‚Château de Bannes’, state of the art medieval arquitecture and around the Château de Languais
Enjoy your final day and explore the vineyards of Bergerac and Monbazillac by bike. Once you are past the hills, the magnificent Château de Monbazillac awaits you. Sample the world-famous ‚Beerenauslese’ and marvel at the fantastic view over Bergerac and the valley!
You cycle mainly on quiet side roads. This cycling tour is moderate and perfectly suited for cyclists with a good basic fitness level.
- Accommodation in your selected category
- Breakfast buffet or extended breakfast
- Welcome briefing (English)
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German with route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers)
- Rental of GPS-navigation device and GPS-data
- Service hotline
- Tourist tax
- Bike rental, including rental bike insurance
- Cat. A: transfer by taxi from train station/ airport Bergerac to Mouleydier, costs €15 (Mon-Sat) and € 25 (Sun) per person excl. your bike (price incl. your bikes on request), reservation is necessary, payable in advance
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Bergerac train station
- Paris, Bordeaux or Toulouse airport
- Minimum number of participants is 2. Surcharge single traveler upon request
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!