Geneva - Lyon
Rhône Cycle Path I.
- 7 Days / 6 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Arrival in Geneva
Enjoy your stay at the harbour in Geneva with its famous water fontain ‚Jet d’ Eau’ and in the picturesque old part of town of the ‚smallest metropolis in the world’ – with its cosmopolitan flair and brimming with art and vitality.
You leave Geneva and follow the river Rhône through the Défilé de l´Écluse, a narrow river passage through the mountains. Only after just a few kilometres, you cycle along the first vineyards and your gaze fixes on the mountains of the Savoyer Alps and Mont Blanc. Today’s destination is Seyssel, where two suspension bridges connect the pretty houses and squares on the left and right hand-side of the river Rhône.
On either side of the river Rhône vineyards rise up steeply. You however cycle on flat terrain along the riverbank and enjoy the view. We suggest you have your first break in Chanaz with its charming houses dating back to the 15th and 16th century and its restaurants located directly at the edge of the canal. Afterwards the river Rhône breaks up and you follow the Western branch until Champagneux.
Today you cycle on remote country lanes up to the viewing plateau of Rochefort. Past the Château de Mandrin the route leads you through orchards to marvellous panoramic views. Back at the hotel, you can enjoy the sun terrace, the indoor pool or the renowned restaurant with its French delicacies.
The Rhône cycle path takes you directly along the riverbank through the harmonious border scenery between Ain and Isère. In Perrozan you leave the river and cycle through little hamlets with medieval flair until today’s destination the romantic percehd village of Pérouges. Due to its amazing historic village centre, Pérouges is considered one of the most beautiful villages in France.
You cycle on remote paths through lush meadows and fields back to the river Rhône. Now you follow the riverbank along the well-constructed cycle path all the way into the centre of Lyon. Since 1998 the old part of town is part of the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage. Marvel at the numerous architectural highlights and enjoy your final evening in one of the countless exquisite restaurants.
Departure or extension
After the breakfast individual departure or extension of the trip. Furthermore we recommend the connecting tour from Lyon to Orange.
On day 1 and day 3 there are a few longer ascents to be tackled. On all other stages the terrain is nearly flat throughout and easy to cycle on. Except for a few interruptions, the Rhône-cycle path is well constructed and it is a perfect example for signposting and routing.
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- Breakfast buffet or extensive breakfast
- Welcome briefing (German, English)
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Well developed route
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German; English, French - with route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers)
- GPS-data is available
- Service hotline
- Bike rental, including rental bike insurance
- Return transfer by minibus to Geneva every Saturday, costs € 90 per person incl. your bike, to be paid for at the time, reservation is necessary
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Geneva train station
- Geneva airport
- Multi-story car park, costs approx. € 22 per day, car park at the periphery, costs approx. € 10 per day, to be paid for at the time, no reservation possible/necessary
- Good train connections from Lyon to Geneva
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!