Arrival in Strasbourg
Tour information and bike fitting. You will spend a wonderful evening in the Alsatian capital with its many canals and a unique atmosphere.
A wonderfully made cycle path takes you through the town to the Rhine’s river bank. You will cycle comfortably along the Rhine through the gentle Rhine valley. In Drusenheim, you will take a ferry to the other side of the Rhine river bank and then you will continue through the charming meadow landscape until you get to Rastatt with its baroque old town.
Today you cycle idyllically along the old Rhine arms through what seems like untouched nature. Then you head through the biggest nature protection area in the Palatinate, the Hördter Rheinauen until you get to the former fortress city of Germersheim. The newly formed Rhine river bank and the unhurried centre of Germersheim provide some amusement.
The Old Father Rhine brings you to the Imperial city of Speyer and its impressive and UNESCO world heritage cathedral. The famous ensemble of the palace and palace gardens in Schwetzingen are further highlights of the tour before your day comes to an end in the oldest German university town in Heidelberg.
You will cycle along the river Neckar to the old Roman town of Ladenburg with its beautiful medieval inner city. Then you will continue your tour through the Rhine valley to the imperial city of Worms with its cathedral built in the 12th century, the Martin Luther monument and the oldest Jewish cemetery in Europe.
You will comfortably cycle along the river Rhine. Lots of agriculture will accompany you on this stage. Everything that tastes good gets grown here! At times you will cycle along the old Rhine arms today and then soon afterwards you will end up on the other side of the river bank where you will see the first vines. Afterwards there are only a few more kilometres and then one more crossing over the river Rhine until you get to the charming wine-making village, Nierstein. You should definitely try a glass of Riesling in the evening!
Today’s stage is short giving you lots of free time to enjoy. Shortly after Nierstein the cycle path goes through the vineyards. Take a view across the Rhine valley – the impressive steep wine-growing slopes and the large river are the lifelines for this region. The cycle path runs along the Rhine’s river bank and then into the centre of Mainz. The imperial cathedral as well as many other attractions are the magnets attracting many visitors here from both close and far away.
You mainly cycle on well-built cycle paths along the Rhine cycle path. A predominantly flat route that is an easy cycle for everybody. Through the Rhine flood plains there are longer sections on gravel paths.
Kategorie A: 3***- und 4****-Hotels
Kategorie B: Hotels und Gasthöfe im 3*** Niveau
- Accommodation in your selected category
- Breakfast buffet or an extensive breakfast
- Welcome briefing (German, English)
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- EUROBIKE developed route
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German, English, French) with route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers
- EUROBIKE signposting
- GPS-data is available
- Service hotline
- Half-board evening meal (mostly multi-course, sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)
- Rental bike insurance
- Return transfer by minibus to Strasbourg every Saturday morning, this costs € 60 per person incl. your bike, to be paid for at the time, reservation essential
Arrival / Parking/ Departure:
- Strasbourg central station
- Strasbourg or Karlsruhe/Baden Baden airport
- Public car park costs approx. € 55 per week, to be paid at the time, no reservation possible/necessary!
- Good train connections from Mainz to Strasbourg
Things to note:
- Ferry tickets in Neuburg costs approx. € 2,50 per person incl. bike
- Ferry tickets in Nierstein costs approx. € 2,50 per person incl. bike
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!
Castle Hotel Rastatt
The Hotel Castle Rastatt combines comfort with personal service. 20 rooms in a modern and luxurious design provide a memorable comfortable stay