From the Leaning Tower to Elba.
- 7 Days / 6 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Arrival in Pisa
In the evening, you will have your welcome briefing and get your bikes. A first glimpse and a visit to the exquisite old part of town is possible today too.
From the Piazza dei Miracoli, home of the Leaning Tower, there are lovely trails winding through the national park ‚Macchia Lucchese’ directly to the sea. Along the sandy beach you will reach the charming sea side town and spa Viareggio. On the way there and in the resort, the refreshing waters of the Tyrrhenian Sea will tempt you to dive in. Short train ride back to Pisa.
In the morning, you take a short train ride to Livorno. This historic harbour has a lot to offer including the well-known quarter ‚Venezia Nuova’ with its many canals. Once you have cycled past the Belle Epoque villas along the river promenade, the bike tour continues deep into the hinterland. An extended ascent leads through the national park ’Monti Livornesi’, passing through traditional Tuscan villages along the way until descending towards the sea with magnificent sea views. Today’s accomodation is located close to steep cliffs. Thetrails along the beach and palm trees truly ooze Mediterranean atmosphere.
Hotel (example): Hotel Miramare
Today’s section is all about the Etruscan coastline. Via the famous white sandy beaches of Vada you will pass through some of the most striking pine forests in all of Italy. After that a cool cycle path in the shade leads you through the nature park ‚Tomboli’ and then on to Bibbona. From there your journey takes you to the well known wine region of Bolgheri. It is here where the top Tuscan grapes are pressed! After passing the longest Italian avenue lined with cypresses, once again the sea is not far away. Marina di Castagneto is a classic Italian sea side town with its many beach cafes and promenades.
Hotel (example): Hotel Alta la Vista
The day starts with an ascent towards the medieval town called Castagneto Carducci. A well deserved break over a cup of cappuccino and stunning views follows. After that, the ride continues upwards on a curvy mountain road through romantic cork oak forests. A few breaks in little traditional villages with the characteristic stone built houses will stay in your memory forever. Next, a comfortable descent through olive groves takes you to the well-known beach ‚Golfo di Baratti’ with Etruscan excavation sites and all. Only a few kilometres left until Piombino, an impressive seaside town where you can relax on the Piazza directly by the sea.
Hotel (example): Hotel Esperia
A ferry ride will take you to Portoferraio (duration approx. 1 hour). Stunning scenery and first glimpses of the island accompany the boat trip. A short cycle path along the panoramic route will lead you to several secluded bays and coves. The longer tour takes you through the hilly hinterland with its characteristic island vegetation of the ’Macchia Mediterranea’. On the return journey to Piombino a picturesque and glorious sunset at sa will be the perfect ending to this day.
Hotel (example): Hotel Esperia
The terrain is mainly flat to slightly hilly. The only two strenuous stretches are during the two legs in the hinterland. Nearly all cycle paths are asphalted and some segments along the sea will be on rustic but well maintained trails. Due to lack of cycle paths along some sections, cycling briefly on roads with moderate traffic is unfortunately unavoidable.
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- Breakfast buffet or extensive breakfast
- Welcome briefing (German, english)
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- EUROBIKE developed route
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German, English, French - route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers)
- 1 Train journey from Viareggio – Pisa and from Pisa – Livorno incl. your bike
- 1 Return ferry to Elba incl. your bike
- EUROBIKE signposting
- GPS-data is available
- Service hotline
- Bike rental, including rental bike insurance
- Return transfer by minibus to Pisa every Saturday, this costs €65 per person, incl. your bike, to be paid at the time, reservation is necessary
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Pisa train station
- Pisa and Florence airport
- Public garage costs approx. € 15 per day, to be paid for at the time, no reservation possible or free car parking at the hotel
- Good train connections from Piombino to Pisa
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!