Venice - Trieste - Poreč
Along the beach of the Adriatic Sea.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Arrival in Venice Mestre
Individual Arrival to the start hotel on the mainland from Venice (Mestre/ Quarto d‘ Altino ). The “Serenissima” is awaiting you with a lot of places of interests. You can reach the centre very good by public busses (stopover in the near of your hotel).
Today you can choose between two routes. Either cycle along the dam and lagoon to Venice OR along the river Sile to Jesolo/Caorle.
You start your day by cycling for the first few kilometres. Afterwards you go by ferry to Punta Sabbioni (ticket not included). You continue your bike tour along Litorale di Cavallino – a headland in the Nortwestern part of the Lagoon. Before you leave Venice definitely you have the possibility to visit the beacon at the end of the island. On your way to Jesolo you should take the opportunity for a bath in the Sea. Your overnight stay is in Jesolo or Caorle.
If you choose the alternative through the hinterland, you cycle along the river Sile. The natural finished river always con a continual volume of water and flows quiet. That’s the reason why the name is deducted from the Latin word “silet”, which means “silence, keep quiet”. Passing the Ruins of Torre Caligo, a medieval tower which is named of the canal Caligo, you arrive directly to Jesolo.
Along the coast you reach Caorle where you should visit the historic centre. Say goodbye to the Sea and welcome the Julian Alps! During the Venetian Republic Portogruaro was an important harbour of the “Serenissima” and nowadays people still think that Portogruaro is the most Venetian city in the heartland of Italy.
Concordia Sagittaria/Portogruaro– Aquileia/Gradoapprox. 45/65 km + boat ride or approx. 85 km
Discover roman cities, ancient churches and lonesome landscapes! From Marano Lagunare you go by boat on the verge of Aquilea which was a major city of the Roman Empire in former times. Take the opportunity to visit the excavations in the open-air ground and in two museums.
Possibility to shorten the first stage by train (not incl.)
You start your tour with a tour through the hinterland of Trieste before you come back to the Sea. You follow the coastal path to suggestive villages like Duino, Sistiana, Miramare and Barcola. We recommend visiting the palace of Miramare which is located above the bay of Grignano in the midst of a beautiful park with more than 2000 different species of plants. You spend your evening above the Golf of Trieste, which was under Habsburg rule in former times. You can shorten this stage by train if you want to spend more time on sightseeing.
After a few kilometres you reach Slovenia! Enjoy your tour through the well-known villages of Koper (Capodistria), Izola (Isola d´Istria) and Piran (Pirano) until you reach the health resort of Portorož which is located at the Slovenian Riviera. We recommend doing the longer stage which leads through valley Val Rosandra in the heartland.
You pass the salt lakes of Secovlje where Sea salt is extracted through natural evaporation. You continue through the Croation part of Istria and biggest peninsula of the Adriatic Sea in slightly hilly terrain to Poreč. Take the opportunity to visit the Euphrasius basilica which is part of the UNESCO world cultural heritage.
Departure or extension
The bike journey to Istria is a rather simple and flat till Trieste, the stage to Porec it is a bit hilly.
Category: 3***-hotels and 4****-hotels
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- Breakfast buffet or an extensive breakfast
- Welcome briefing
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Well-developed route
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (GE, EN with route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers)
- 1 Boat ride from Marano Lagunare to Aquileia
- Service hotline
- Return transfer by boat every Wednesday and Saturday according to schedule, costs approx. EUR 65 – 80 per person (depending on season), costs for your own bike approx. EUR 10 (limited transport, max. 4 bikes); Rental bikes can be returned free of charge at the last hotel and do not have to be transported on the ship, reservation of the boat trip is absolutely necessary upon booking.The following information is required: Name, date of birth, nationality, document type (passport or identity card), document number and expiry date If for any reason (technical problems, organisational problems of the operator, …) the ferry does not operate, a bus will be organised alternatively- the booked ticket cannot be refunded or there will be no compensation. We point out that the return journey from the harbour in Venice to the starting hotel with own bikes is difficult.
- Transfer possibility from Venice harbour to your start hotel: taxi, costs approx. EUR 45-55, the transfer can be booked at the personal tour information at the beginning of the tour; payable on spot to the driver in San Basilio.
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Mestre train station
- Treviso, Trieste or Venice airport
- Car park or garage at your start hotel available, EUR 30 - EUR 50 per week, to be paid for at the time, no reservation possible
Things to note:
- Extension to Pula possible on request (depending on the date).
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!