Venice - Trieste - Poreč
Along the beach of Adriatic Sea.
Fair Weather Cyclist
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Individual Arrival to the start hotel on the mainland from Venice (Mestre/ Quarto d‘ Altino ). The “Serenissima” is awaiting you with a lot of places of interests. You can reach the centre very good by public busses (stopover in the near of your hotel).
Today you can choose between two routes. Cycle along the dam and lagoon OR along the river Sile to Jesolo/Caorle.
You start your day by cycling for the first few kilometres. Afterwards you go by ferry to Punta Sabbioni (ticket not included). You continue your bike tour along Litorale di Cavallino – a headland in the Nortwestern part of the Lagoon. Before you leave Venice definitely you have the possibility to visit the beacon at the end of the island. On your way to Jesolo you should take the opportunity for a bath in the Sea. Your overnight stay is in Jesolo or Caorle.
If you choose the alternative through the hinterland, you cycle along the river Sile. The natural finished river always con a continual volume of water and flows quiet. That’s the reason why the name is deducted from the Latin word “silet”, which means “silence, keep quiet”. Passing the Ruins of Torre Caligo, a medieval tower which is named of the canal Caligo, you arrive directly to Jesolo.
Along the coast you reach Caorle where you should visit the historic centre. Say goodbye to the Sea and welcome the Julian Alps! During the Venetian Republic Portogruaro was an important harbour of the “Serenissima” and nowadays people still think that Portogruaro is the most Venetian city in the heartland of Italy.
Discover roman cities, ancient churches and lonesome landscapes! From Marano Lagunare you go by boat (Cat. A incl.) on the verge of Aquilea which was a major city of the Roman Empire in former times. Take the opportunity to visit the excavations in the open-air ground and in two museums.
Possibility to abbreviate the first stage by train (not incl.), continue cycling from Portogruaro to Latisana (ap. 25 km)
You start your tour with a tour through the hinterland of Trieste before you come back to the Sea. You follow the coastal path to suggestive villages like Duino, Sistiana, Miramare and Barcola. We recommend visiting the palace of Miramare which is located above the bay of Grignano in the midst of a beautiful park with more than 2000 different species of plants. You spend your evening above the Golf of Trieste, which was under Habsburg rule in former times. You can shorten this stage by train if you want to spend more time on sightseeing.
After a few kilometres you reach Slovenia! Enjoy your tour through the well-known villages of Koper (Capodistria), Izola (Isola d´Istria) and Piran (Pirano) until you reach the health resort of Portorož which is located at the Slovenian Riviera. We recommend doing the longer stage which leads through valley Val Rosandra in the heartland.
You pass the salt lakes of Secovlje where Sea salt is extracted through natural evaporation. You continue through the Croation part of Istria and biggest peninsula of the Adriatic Sea in slightly hilly terrain to Poreč. Take the opportunity to visit the Euphrasius basilica which is part of the UNESCO world cultural heritage.
Departure or extension
The highlight of your holiday is a return journey by boat back to Venice. You can look back on your bike route while relaxing on the ship.
The bike journey to Istria is a rather simple and flat till Trieste, the stage to Porec it is a bit hilly.
Category A: 4**** and 3*** hotels
Category B: 3*** hotels
- Accommodation in your selected category
- Breakfast buffet or an extensive breakfast
- Welcome briefing
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Best elaborated route
- Detailed travel documents (route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers)
- Boat ride from Marano Lagunare to Aquileia (Not always guaranteed, especially on the beginning and end of the season, only included in Category A)
- Service hotline
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Mestre train station
- Treviso or Venedig Marco Polo airport
- Car park or garage at your start hotel available, €30 - €50 per week, to be paid for at the time, no reservation possible
- Return transfer every Saturday by boat from Poreč to Venice. Departure in Poreč is at about 8 a.m. and arrival in Venice is around 11 a.m. The price depends on the season and differs from € 65 to € 80 per person; price per bike is € 10 (limited availability – max. 4 bikes). Rental bikes may be left at the hotel in Proeč. A reservation is necessary in combination with the booking, payable in advance. Please send us the names, birth dates, citizenship, document types (pass or identity card), document numbers and validity dates of all participants. We would like to inform you, that it is a little bit difficult to get from the harbour to the hotel with the own bikes. If the ferry will not drive (technical or organising problems,…) we will organise a bus alternatively. Unfortunately we cannot refund the paid ferry ticket.
- Transfer possibility from Venice harbour to your start hotel: taxi, cost about € 30 – 50, the transfer can be booked at the personal tour information at the beginning of the tour; payable on spot to the driver in San Basilio