The „green way” to the sea.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
- Minimum number of participants: 2
In the morning you have a transfer from Reus to Alcañiz and start a short city tour starting from the Parador it leads through the narrow streets of the city. You cross the river and cycle through fields until you reach the lake of la Estanca, where you will see many birds. From the lake we continue to the very special ecosystem "Las Saladas", pink salt lakes inhabited by many species that have adapted to the extreme conditions. From the salt lakes we return through fields to Alcañiz.
Transfer to Puebla de Híjar. The tour starts in the province of Terol, where the old railway route, which connected the Spanish hinterland with the sea, began. On the "Green Road" and on country roads you cycle back to Alcañiz.
At the beginning we will pass a secondary road until reaching Valdegorfa. From there, we will bike along the green way surrounded by fields of olive trees, vineyards and lush pines, in a route which the highlight is the long viaduct that crosses the Matarraña River. Night in Horta de Sant Joan.
From here the Greenway runs alongside the river. A succession of tunnels and viaducts punctuate the remaining kilometres, which allows us to cross the Port Massis (mountain range). This is one of the best parts of the green way with some tunnels in which you need lights to cross it. Night in Tortosa.
From Tortosa we will follow parts of river Ebro. We go out from Tortosa crossing trees fruit fields and we will continue next to a waterway. Little by little, we will leave the trees to enter in a flat area where the rice fields are the protagonists. The landscape will be changing while you are approaching to the sea. Arrival to l’Ampolla where you can take a swim in the Mediterranean sea.
The last stage is a circular tour in The Nature reserve of the Delta de l'Ebre. The Delta combines the use for rice fields, vegetation areas, the lagoons and ponds.
Departure or extension
The route is almost flat along the “Via Verde” an old railway line converted into an cycle path that connects the province of Aragon with Catalonia and ends at the sea. Sometimes there are some steep but short climbs to reach the hotels. Mosty you cycle on a gravel path. Sometimes you cycle on low-traffic side roads.
Category: 2** country hotels and 4**** hotels
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- Breakfast buffet or continental breakfast
- Welcome briefing (English)
- 1 Transfer Reus – Alcaniz (bike included)1 Transfer Benifallet – Puebla de Hijar (bike included)
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Best developed route
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (GER, EN, FR, NL) with route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers
- GPS-data is available
- Service hotline (English and sometimes also a bit in German)
- Half-board evening meal (mostly multi-course, sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)
- Transfer from/to Barcelona (on request)
Arrival/ Parking/ Departure:
- Mora d’Ebre train station
- Barcelona and Reus airport
- Included transfer from Mora d’Ebre or Reus to Benifallet
- Good train connection from Barcelona to Mora d’Ebre and from l’Ampolla to Barcelona
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!