Hanseatic Tour, MS Gandalf
Rivers, Hanseatic towns and fishing villages.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Guided group tour
Embark the MS Gandalf and check in between 2 and 3pm. The crew will welcome you on board in Amsterdam. At about 3pm, the barge will leave Amsterdam to Wijk bij Duurstede on the Rhine where you will spend the night. You will go via the Amsterdam-Rhine Canal.
Whilst you enjoy your breakfast, the barge will sail to Wageningen where, following the distribution of bicycles, you finally set off by bike through the picturesque Rhine river valley. Along the way you will visit the protected nature reserve “De Blauwe Kamer” (the Blue Chamber), followed by the woods and moorlands of Veluwe National Park. The park covers 5,400 hectares and is home to a large range of fauna and flora and importantly, the Kröller-Müller Museum, the largest private Van Gogh collection in the world. Late in the day you pedal through the suburbs and go past lovely parks such as Sonsbeek and Zijpendaal to Arnhem, where you spend the night close to the city centre.
Doesburg – Vorden – Zutphenby boat Arnhem – Doesburg, approx. 35-45 km, by boat Zutphen – Deventer
Today’s cycle tour takes you along the Hanseatic Town Route to the small village of Doesburg and along the IJssel to Bronkhorst, which has the distinction of being recognised as the smallest town in Holland. Guests will have two choices today – a shorter tour along the riverbank to Zutphen or a longer ride via Vorden passing country houses, castles and rural estates. Whilst you are having dinner, the barge will sail to Deventer where you have the option of a short guided walking tour in the evening.
This morning we have an enjoyable short cycle ride along the IJssel riverbank before boarding a ferry at Wijhe to cross the river to Hattem. The 800-year old town of Hattem has a rich history that is still clearly visible today. Guests have the opportunity, if they want, to stretch their legs with a longer bicycle trip through east Veluwe. During dinner the ship will sail to Kampen where you have the opportunity to go on an optional guided walking tour in the largest Hanseatic town in the Netherlands.
In the morning the barge will sail to the IJssel estuary and across the so-called border lakes of the IJssel to the fishing harbour of Harderwijk. In the 1500s, Harderwijk boasted the largest fish market in the Zuiderzee region and is still a fascinating old city to explore. From Harderwijk, you will cycle along Lake Veluwer where swimming, boating, surfing and fishing are favourite summertime activities. The longest cycle trip on the tour also goes past the woods and moorland near Elspeet. The night will be spent in Harderwijk’s lovely old fishing harbour.
Today guests have two cycle routes to choose between: a short pedal along the coast or a combination of the coastal route and a longer alternative that also takes in adjacent woodlands. The night will be spent in Spakenburg, a village well-known for its traditional costumes.
Once again guests have a choice to make this morning. After breakfast you can cycle to Huizen or if you prefer to take things easier, you can enjoy the scenery from the comfort of the barge. From Huizen you will cycle to the beautiful fortress towns of Naarden and Muiden, which is famous for its historic castle. From Muiden, you will cycle along quiet roads to your final destination, the world famous city of Amsterdam. The afternoon and evening are then spent in Amsterdam. While you are there take the opportunity to visit Anne Frank’s home, the Rembrandt House Museum, the Royal Palace of Amsterdam, Dam Square, the very centre and heart of the city or maybe you could go on a canal tour (not included).
Departure or extension
After breakfast the tour has finished and it is time for you to disembark and travel home as planned by you.
Cycle between 30 and 60km a day. Nearly all routes are easy and well signposted.
- Program according to tour itinerary course
- 7 overnight stays in cabins with shower/toilet in the booked cabin category
- Full board: breakfast buffet, small lunch or packed lunch for those cycling, coffee and tea until 4pm, 3-course-dinner
- Welcome drink
- Daily briefing of bike tours
- 1 route book for self-guided trips per cabin
- Tour guide for guided cycle trips
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Amsterdam train station is close to the pier
- Oosterdok car park: near central station, approx. €15/day
- Amsterpark car park or Valet parking services: registration form in the travel documents, approx. €150 per week, payable there
Number of participants
- Minimum of 14 people
- Program and itinerary are subject to change due to nautical and meteorological reasons (this is no reason for a free cancellation).
- Please note that the space in the cabins is limited. You should definitely bring good rain clothing (coat and trousers), a bike helmet, a sun hat, sunscreen and sports shoes with you.
- Dietary requirements or vegetarian food can be catered for upon request. Surcharge is €25 per person per week (to be paid there). Please inform at the time of booking.
Bike & Barge MS Gandalf
On this bicycle- and shiptour you can experience rivers, hanseatic cities, and fisher towns. The nights you spend on de familiary MS Gandalf.