The Austrian Riviera.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
The first destination is the castle ruin Landskron. Cycle along Lake Ossiacher to Ossiach where there is a Benedictine convent and the collegiate church ‘Assumption’. Via Steindorf – a charming lakeside town – you continue to Bodensdorf and then you head back to Villach.
You cycle a few kilometres eastwards along the river Drava's bike path. Your next destination is Velden, which is a pulsating village by Lake Wörthersee. You continue through a slightly hilly landscape into Keutschach valley. You can take a bath in Lake Hafnersee, Lake Keutschacher See, Lake Baßgeigensee and Lake Rauschelsee, which are all located around the bathing resort of Keutschach. Along Lend Canal you reach the capital of Carinthia – Klagenfurt. Alternatively (approx. 40 km) you can also cycle along the northern banks of Lake Wörthersee via Velden, Pörtschach and Krumpendorf to Klagenfurt.
After strolling through Klagenfurt you cycle to the Ebenthal and Grafenstein castles. Grafenstein castle has got an arcade courtyard well-worth seeing. You then continue to the Völkermarkter Stausee (reservoir) and then onto the warmest lake in Carinthia, Lake Klopeiner See.
Today you cross the river Drava for the last time. You cycle through a slightly undulating landscape towards Maria Saal. Today you also pass the Duke's chair and Hochosterwitz castle (excursion there is about 15 km extra) on your way to St. Veit.
St. Veit was the capital city for centuries and domicile of the Carinthian bishop. Even today, the past is still evident through the city wall, the medieval square, the gorgeous houses, the castle of the duke and lots of monuments. Along the river Glan you cycle to Glanegg (castle ruin) and Feldkirchen, surrounded by romantic castles, ruins and hills. You then cycle along the Glan bicycle path back to Villach.
The variation between the individual river valleys and lakes – as well as avoiding roads with heavy traffic – makes this route slightly hilly. This journey can be carried out by any frequent cyclist. You mainly cycle along tarmac bike paths and quiet side roads.
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- Breakfast buffet or an extensive breakfast
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- EUROBIKE developed routes
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German, English with route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers)
- GPS-data is available
- Service hotline
- Half board evening meal (mostly multi-course, sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher), in St. Veit B&B
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Train Station Villach
- Airport Klagenfurt
- Unguided, public car park free of charge or public underground car park (approx. € 35 per week) in the surrounding of the hotel.
Things to note
- Tourist tax, if due,is not included in the price!
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!