First, you will cycle to Tamsweg (historic market place, pilgrimage church of St. Leonhard). This region is characterised by wood in all its diversity (wood museum St. Ruprecht). Today’s destination is the tranquil town of Murau, a medieval beer brewing town with a beer museum, the castle Murau and a beautiful centre.
Kat. A: Gasthof Lercher
Kat. B: Gasthof Lercher
Today, you will ride your bike through the straits of the Mur valley at the foot of the Lower Tauern Mountains. In Frojach, you will find the Narrow-Gauge Railway Museum, in Frauenburg legendary ruins, and in Sauerbrunn the oldest mineral water source in Styria. Many historic sites can also be seen in Judenburg: the city tower, the former sovereign’s castle, town houses and Magdalen Church.
Kat. A: Guesthouse Karl August
Kat. B: Landpension Birker
On the fourth day, you will visit Maria Buch (pilgrimage church) and the monastery Seckau (Benedictine abbey). In the old industrial towns, you can clearly see how successful the locals dealt with their past when watching their architectural sites: Well-kept old towns, vibrant pedestrian zones, and interesting museums. In Leoben you can visit the monastery Göss and the Gösser brewery. In Bruck an der Mur you will find interesting sites such as the Schlossberg hill, the Kornmesserhaus and the city hall.
Kat. A: Hotel Landskron
Kat. B: Guesthouse Pichler
First, you will cycle to Frohnleiten (Park Murlend, “Tratschweiberbrunnen” fountain). Then, you will find pure nature along the way: old farmhouses and orchards and high cliffs. You will come across Rabenstein castle, the Lurgrotte caves and the open-air museum Stübing. Styria's capital city, Graz, has lots of attractions: the Schlossberg hill with its clock tower, Eggenberg castle, the country house and the town hall, countless museums and great restaurants.
Kat. A: Hotel Drei Raben
Kat. B: Star Inn
In Seggau castle you can visit the Fürstenzimmer (sovereign’s room) and art gallery and enjoy some wine in the 300-year-old wine cellar. This way you can get into the right mood for the South Styrian wine road. The church, the city hall, and the ship mill are all worth seeing in Mureck.
Kat. A and B: Pension Steirerland
On the short final stage, you will find water of all kinds: the river Mur will guide your way, you can swim in Lake Röcksee, you can visit the mineral water spring Peterquelle and relax in the thermal waters of Bad Radkersburg (historic old town with many different architectural styles!). At the end of the day: departure/return transfer; or you can extend your trip, which we recommend in our category A hotel, since the admission to the thermal bath in Bad Radkersburg is included in the price.
Trip to the Spring of the River Mur approx. 55 km
There is little traffic on the way along the river Mur to the national park town Muhr. You will cycle past colourful meadows to the car park Muritzen (transfer possibility for € 70,- for up to 4 people incl. bikes, 5-8 people: € 90 incl. bike). From there, you will cycle uphill on a partly very steep route (gradients of 1 % and 19%) to the Stickler alpine hut. The last part of the way, you will walk to the spring of the river Mur on 1898 metres in altitude (about one hour hike). Then, you will ride your bike downhill back to St. Michael. Transfer possibilities depend on the weather and operate from the end of May at the earliest! Due to varying weather conditions, the information about transfer possibilities is subject to change.
From the spring of the river Mur to the Slovenian border, the Mur cycle path inclines by a total of 1,700 metres in altitude on a length of about 365 kilometres. From St. Michael to Bad Radkersburg you will cycle downhill another 870 metres in altitude. This clearly shows that the Mur cycle path mainly goes downhill. Some slight climbs have to be cycled during the first two stages but you will always find yourself on tranquil bike paths.
Category A: 3*** and 4**** hotels and inns
Category B: 3*** hotels, guest houses and inns
- Accommodation in your selected category
- Breakfast buffet
- Welcome briefing (German, English)
- Luggage transfer between hotels
- Excellently planned routes
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German, English with route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers)
- GPS-data is available
- Service hotline
- Half-board evening meal (mostly multi-course, sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)
- Bike rental, including rental bike insurance
- Return transfer by bus to St. Michael, (every Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday at 2 pm and every Sunday at 11 am) EUR 55,- per person incl. bike, reservation is necessary, to be paid at the time.
- You can also leave the bus in Graz (costs EUR 35 per person incl. bike or Bruck an der Mur (costs EUR 43 per person incl. bike).
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Train station Salzburg, and then with the bus or taxi bus into the Lungau region; details on request.
- Airport Salzburg, Munich or Graz
- Free parking, garage EUR 9 and carport EUR 20 per week, no reservation possible
- The return journey with public transport requires you to change trains a lot
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!