Tauern Cycle Path
From Krimml via Salzburg to Schärding.
- 7 Days / 6 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Arrival to Krimml
This cycling holiday starts at the foot of Europe's largest waterfall. You can view and admire it from a well-designed trail allowing you to get up-close. Your rental bikes (if booked) will already be at your accomodation.
Today's route runs through the High Tauern National Park and the Oberpinzgau region. Snow covered mountains will accompany you the whole way. Lush green meadows alternate with lovely small villages and offer a fabulous scenery. In Kaprun you have the possibility to visit the Alpine reservoirs!
You should definitely go for a refreshing swim in Lake Zell. If you are feeling very sporty you could also go for an additional bike ride around the lake. You will cycle through Maria Alm where there is a famous pilgramage church and soon after that you will be in Saalfelden where we recommend that you have lunch. Further attractions on your way to Lofer are the Seisenbergklamm gorge and the Lamprechtshöhle caves in Weißbach.
Today you cycle through the tranquil Saalach valley. Bad Reichenhall, located in the “small German corner”, enchants you with its Bavarian flair. After a short distance you have reached Salzburg, the city of Mozart. The cultural offer there is sure to embrace you. You should plan enough extra time for a walk through the city and for visiting Mozart´s birth house.
Having left Salzburg, you leave the Alps behind and cycle through the Alpine foothills instead. On the first section you will cycle through extensive alluvial forests. The Tauern bike path ends in Tiitmoning and from here you follow the nature trail along the Lower Inn before reaching Burghausen, today's destination. Outstanding parts of this town are its magnificent historic centre and the Central Europe's largest castle complex.
The route leads you along the river Inn to Braunau. This gothic town is a perfect place for a lunch break. On your way you will see numerous bird colonies. You can cycle to Obernberg on either the Bavarian or Austrian side of the river. The abbey "Stift Reichersberg“ is definitely worth a visit. On your route alongside the river Inn, you cycle through small towns like Schärding where you can review this wonderful bike trip at the baroque market square.
Departure or extension
In Schärding there is a lot to do. If you are intereste, we will happily book some extra nights for you. Transfer back to Krimml (on request).
The Tauern bike path runs from start to finish with no breaks in it. The route is also fully signposted. The route runs through quiet areas on paved paths and country roads. At times you will have to cycle along busier routes. There are a few short sections of the route where the cycling surface is bumpy. Overall the quality of the cycle route can be described as very good. There are hardly any hills in this version of the tour, which also makes it suitable for families with children.
- Accommodation in your selected category
- Breakfast buffet
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Well developed route
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room with route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers
- Entrance fee Krimml Waterfalls (not for Alternative 5/4 Short Tour)
- GPS-data is available
- Service hotline
- Half-board evening neak (mostly multi couse, sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)
- Bike rental, including rental bike insurance
- Return transfer by minibus to Krimml daily, this costs € 69 per person incl.your bike, to be paid in advance
Passau – Krimml, departure 2 p.m.
Schärding – Krimml, departure 2.30 p.m.
Salzburg – Krimml, departure 4 p.m.
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Krimml train station
- Salzburg, Innsbruck or Munich airport
- Public car park close to the hotels in Krimml costs € 5 per day, to be paid for at the time, no reservation possible/necessary. Please inform us how you arrive, the hotels will be booked accordingly.
- Public multi storage car park in Passau, this costs approx. € 4 per day, to be paid for at the time, no reservation possible.
Things to note
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!