Weimar - based in one hotel
Around the classic town.
Fair Weather Cyclist
- 5 Days / 4 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Arrival in Weimar
We welcome you at the personal welcome briefing and distribution of rental bikes in your hotel. Weimar offers a worldwide unique historic tradition. Museums, memorial places, churches and an interesting history are reminding on the life of many well-known persons. The thousand-year-old city knows many big names as for example Goethe, Schiller, Herder, Wieland, Lucas Cranch, Johann Sebastian Bach and Franz Liszt. Today Weimar is a pulsating centre of art and science. Arrive early – Weimar is awaiting you with historic and culinary inner city.
You cycle to capital city Erfurt. Krämer Bridge is awaiting you. It has a length of 120 m and 32 houses are located on it. It is the longest bridge with buildings on it. Half-timbered houses are accompanying you on your way. Small villages and homelike inns are inviting you to taste the Thuringia cuisine. Through the rural hinterland you reach your aim Weimar in the afternoon.
On today´s loop tour you follow the tracks of poets and thinkers. The route leads to Jena. In the university which was built in 1558 famous persons studied and teached. Goethe advanced the university, Schiller teached here. You continue along Saale bike path through a picturesque and diversified landscape. Past fortresses, palaces, churches and historic mills. Along the river Saale through the wine Eldorado of Thuringia and on roads with less traffic and asphalted bike paths to valley Ilmtal. Villages as for example Apolda, Bad Sulza or Dornburg with rural character invite you with numerous places of interest and lively inner city to pause.
Along the tracks of painter Feininger this loop tour leads you through Weimar and into Weimarer Land. The tour starts in Geschwister Scholl road in Weimar at the University. Feininger teached here from 1919 – 1925. In Bauhausstraße 7a you can visit the atelier of this artist. Next stop is house nr. 16 in Gutenberg Road. Feininger lived here with his family from 1919 – 1926. The tour leads you to the end of Shakespeare road and on to valley Kirschbachtal. Through the landscape and from village to village you are in 25 km at the stone bridge in Oberweimar. From here you continue through Goethe Park into the city centre of Weimar. The tour leads along roads with less traffic and country roads. The church in Gelmeroda offers an exhibition about Lyonel Feininger, it is opened daily from 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
You cylce on bike paths and side roads with less traffic. Sometimes slightly hilly terrain while cycling through the green heart.
- Accommodation as mentioned
- Breakfast buffet
- If half board is booked: every day a 3 course meal
- Detailed travel documents
- Merian travel guide book
- Weimar: guided city tour, entrée in lots of museums, Palace Belvedere
- Erfurt: guided city tour, EGA Park, entrée lots of museums
- Jena: guided city tour, entrée planetarium, Spa Galaysea, Domburger castles
- Apola entrée bell and city museum, Carriage museum in Auerstadt
- Bad Sulza: entrée Tuscany spa in Bad Sulza (2 hours)
- Train journey Bad Sulza – Weimar incl. your bike
- Service hotline
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Weimar train station
- Erfurt, Frankfurt or Leipzig airport
- Free parking close to the hotel, no reservation possible/necessar
- Multi storage garage at the hotel, this costs € 12 per day, to be paid for at the time, no reservation possible.