Enjoy the magical old town of Pisa again before taking on the beautiful paths through the ‘Macchia Luccese’ national park to the sea. Continue along the sandy beach until you reach the charming resort of Viareggio with its historic swimming baths. Take your first dip in the fresh waters of the Tyrrhenian Sea here, or even along the way.
Hotel (example): Sina Astor
In the morning you travel along the Versilia coast for a while, before heading back inland. You cycle along the ‘Via Fancigena’, the ancient pilgrim route on the way from France to Rome. It travels through small, medieval villages in the Tuscan hills to the banks of the Serchio river. The well-maintained cycle path will eventually take you to the centre of Lucca. Not only the old town will impress you, you’ll experience a special highlight – a round trip of the city walls by bike.
Hotel (example): Santori Luxury Home
On the cycle path along the Serchio you leave the city once more. The mystical Devil’s Bridge is a popular photo opportunity, directly on the bike path, its steepness is simply breathtaking. In today’s location, Castelnuovo di Garfagnana, time seems to have stopped. Narrow medieval streets, stone bridges and small, charming squares characterize the townscape.
Hotel (example): La Lanterna
A beautifully landscaped mountain road leads you back to the sea today. Over the first 20 kilometres you will overcome approximately 550 metres of altitude and then suddenly find yourself amongst the quarries of the world-famous white Carrara marble. Then it’s down again…30 kilometres downhill! In the fashionable Forte dei Marmi, you will definitely have earned a dip in the Tyrrhenian Sea.
Hotel (example): Hotel Bencista
Today’s cycling route promises lots of variety. Lush green grape vines accompany you on the last few kilometres in Tuscany. The charming fishing village of Bocca di Magra is already in Liguria and the coastal road that starts from there offers fantastic views over the deep blue sea. The pastel-coloured houses in Lerici give you a first impression of the Ligurian coast. From here it is only a few kilometres to your destination of La Spezia, a historic port city with a lot of art, culture and good food.
Hotel (example): The Poet Hotel
The national park around the colourful facades of the Cinque Terre – the five villages of Monterosso, Vernayya, Corniglia, Manarola and Riomaggiore – was declared a World Heritage Site in 1997.On a breathtaking coastal walk, you get to know these villages from a very special viewpoint. In the morning you can take the train from La Spezia to Monterosso. From there you travel with the glittering sea always on the right-hand side, from village to village (the route can be shortened at any time by train or boat). From Riomaggiore, the Cinque Terre Express takes you back to your accommodation in La Spezia.
Hotel (example): The Poet Hotel
The route is on cycle paths and mostly on low-traffic side roads. The first stage is completely flat, all other stages are hilly with several, at times tougher, climbs. On the fourth day of cycling, there is a long climb of over 550 metres. The paths are mostly asphalted and for short distances on gravel roads. When entering and exiting cities, as well as during short connections, a bit more traffic can be expected.
Category: 3*** and mostly 4**** hotels
- Accommodation as already mentioned
- Breakfast buffet or an extensive breakfast
- Welcome briefing (German, English)
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- EUROBIKE developed route
- Detailed travel documents 1x per room (German, English - route maps, route description, local attractions, important telephone numbers)
- 1 Train journey La Spezia – Monterosso
- 1 Train journey Riomaggiore – La Spezia
- EUROBIKE signposting
- GPS-data is available
- Service hotline
- Bike rental, including rental bike insurance
- Return transfer by minibus to Pisa every Saturday, this costs EUR 65 per person incl. your bike, to be paid for at the time, reservation is necessary
Arrival / Parking / Departure:
- Pisa train station
- Pisa and Florence airport
- Public hotel garage costs approx. EUR 15 per day, to be paid for at the time, no reservation possible/necessary or free car parking at the hotel
- Good train connections from La Spezia to Pisa
Things to note:
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!