Tips for cycling in cities
Regardless of whether you are cycling in nature or in lively cities – an active break should be an enjoyable experience. To make sure it is, we have summarised the most important tips and rules for cycling in cities at a glance:
- Bike equipment: Every bike should have these elements – two working breaks, front and rear lights (white and red), bike bell, reflectors (front, rear, on the pedals and spokes).
- Taking bikes on public transport: We recommend that you find out in advance whether it is permitted to take bikes on public transport with you, or whether you need to pay. Please also make sure that you don’t obstruct other passengers with your bike.
- Park your bike correctly: Would you like to park your bike at a subway station for example? No problem! Park your bike in the designated safe parking areas so pedestrians are not obstructed and lock your bike accordingly.
- Speed limit: When cycling in Austrian cities, the same speed limits apply to cyclists as other road users.
- Year-round cycling fun: The good thing about cities is that cycling is often possible year-round. Nevertheless, pay attention to the current weather conditions and make sure you cycle safely in all weather.
Cycle through the cities in Austria with the wind blowing
The time when you hop onto the saddle and explore the beautiful natural landscapes and cycle paths in Austria at your own pace is a special one. The personal break, during which you can really recharge your batteries and free your thoughts. For many, cycling is pure freedom and a welcome change from everyday life. Did you know that just 30 minutes on the bike releases happiness hormones are and brings more satisfaction? Added to this is the increased ability to concentrate and strengthening the cardiovascular system.
Hardly any other form of active movement allows us to perceive nature and our surroundings as intensely as cycling: both sounds, smells and temperatures are taken in unfiltered. Cycling – a real panacea for body and mind. In order to be able to experience this, we have combined the most beautiful natural landscapes with the most wonderful cities in Austria in dreamlike cycle tours and will present them to you now.
Discover Salzburg – Innsbruck – Vienna by bike
You can experience two provincial capitals on our easy cycling holiday Salzburg - Vienna, 8 days. Two very worth seeing cultural metropolises with numerous highlights await. In the festival city of Salzburg, experience Hellbrunn Palace with its zoo, Getreidegasse, Mirabell Palace with the Mirabell Gardens or Mozart’s birthplace. In the destination of this tour, the capital city of Vienna, you end your active holiday with as many highlights as the beginning. Some hotspots are the Schönbrunn Palace and Zoo, St. Stephen’s Cathedral, the Prater and Naschmarkt. The advantage of this cycling tour: The entire route on the Danube Cycle Path is entirely car-free. Once you leave the cycle path at the end of your day, you are immediately in front of your accommodation. Our cycling holiday Innsbruck - Salzburg, 7 days promises an equally worthwhile break. Innsbruck, the starting point for your trip is already waiting for you with highlights: the Golden Roof in the old town, the Swarovski Crystal World near to Wattens or the Bergisel ski jump are just a few of the sights to be admired. With numerous wonderful impressions in your luggage, you will travel via Krimml and Kaprun to beautiful Salzburg, where you will end the tour.
Cycling on the Danube and at Lake Neusiedl
You can experience more active enjoyment in the wonderful natural surroundings on multifaceted Danube Cycle Path. Our easy cycling holiday Danube-Cycle Path, 8 days takes you on flat paths from Schärding/Passau via Linz to Vienna. One highlight follows the last along the Danube Cycle Path and you always cycle along the picturesque banks of the Danube. Explore the wonderful old town in Passau right at the beginning of your tour, enjoy top wines in the Wachau and immerse yourself in the hustle and bustle of Vienna - cycling through nature and cities in Austria can be so wonderful. Wine, nature and culture – this and much more can be experienced by active holidaymakers on our cycling holiday Lake Neusiedlersee Tour, 8 days. Over just eight days you can experience all the advantages of the three countries Austria, Hungary and Slovakia. The start of this journey is the beautiful city of Vienna, which impresses visitors with numerous sights. The route continues via Baden Bei Wien and Rust/Mörbisch to neighbouring Hungary to Sopron. On to Neisiedl/Jois and after a pleasant day of rest, this tour ends in Bratislava, the capital of Slovakia.
- Did you know that according to the Copenhagenize Index, Vienna was one of the Top 10 most bike-friendly cities in the world in 2019?
Cycle tours in Villach – Klagenfurt – Salzburg
Experience the absolute highlights of the Carinthian cities on our easy cycling holiday Villach - based in one hotel, 7 days. You will spend the night in the same hotel in Villach every night and explore this city and lake paradise in Carinthia in a relaxed way. The city of Villach is a wonderful starting point for centre-based tours. In any case, don’t miss the Landskron Castle ruins, the Dobratsch Nature Park and the beautiful city of Villach. After sightseeing you can enjoy the wonderful natural landscape and beautiful lakes such as the Ossiacher See or the Wörthersee even more intensely. The Alpe-Adria Cycle Path I offers another varied cycling experience. On our cycling tour Salzburg - Villach, 7 days, you will not only experience the advantages of the beautiful Mozart city of Salzburg, but also explore the second largest city in sunny Carinthia, beautiful Villach. Your route takes you from Salzburg through the Salzach Valley and the Gastein Valley to the Drau Valley to Villach. Between the natural experience and sightseeing, however, there is guaranteed to be enough time to enjoy the wonderful delicacies that both federal states have in store for you.
- Our Salzburg tip: The city is wonderful to drive through on the banks of the Salzach and the best part? It doesn’t matter whether you turn left or right, you are guaranteed to reach your destination!