Cologne - Rotterdam, MS Arlene II
Enjoyable cycling along the Lower Rhine from Cologne to Rotterdam
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Arrival in Cologne
Embark between 3 and 5pm. Enjoy a cosy evening on board the ship or taste a Kölsch, a typical beer from Cologne, in one of the numerous Old Town pubs with a view over the Rhine. Along with many historical sights, the Cathedral City has got a considerable number of parks and gardens too.
In the morning, your cycle tour beings in Cologne. Cycle along the Rhine Cycle Route on well-paved bike paths past quaint villages and with a view over the other bank of the Rhine. This route is very diverse and the scenry keeps varying between industry and idyll. It is well worth taking short detours to the villages located directly on the Rhine. The medieval wall and tower remains will leave you impressed. At the end of today's cycle ride, you will reach Düsseldorf. The multifaceted city is one of the leading cultural metropolis’ in Germany.
Situated at the Rhine’s confluence with the Lippe River and the Wesel-Datteln-Canal, the Hanseatic city of Wesel boasts numerous remains of the region's Prussian past. Here you will start today’s tour leg, which also leads past the Roman city of Xanten. In Emmerich, the tour ends and in the evening the ship will set sail for Arnhem crossing the German - Dutch border.
After crossing the Dutch border, the Rhine branches off into smaller rivers, which form the Rhine-Maas-Delta. You start today's cycle tour in Arnhem. If you take a detour to the city centre, it will take you back to bygone days with its narrow alleys and picturesque buildings. Continue cycling through parks and woods, past embankment foreland and reach Rhenen. In the evening, the ship will take you from Rhenen to Duurstede.
The day starts with a short stretch along the woodland area of "Utrechtse Heuvelrug“ (eng.: Utrecht Hill Ridge), a tree-covered ridge of low sands created during the last glacial period. Enjoy the bike ride through unspoilt nature. Continue following the Linge River, a tributary of the Rhine until you reach the fortified city of Gorinchem.
On your way from Gorinchem to Dordrecht, you pass by the national park of De Biesbosch, a green maze of rivers with crystal clear water and small forested islands. It is one of the few tidal freshwater zones in the world. At the end of the day, you dive out of the quietness of nature and into vivid city life in Dordrecht. Holland's oldest city is located on an island bordered by large rivers and is characterised by numerous historic buildings, city ports and a fantastic atmosphere.
Today is the last cycle ride on this holiday. Explore the best-known windmills in the Netherlands at Kinderdijk. The 19 windmills, which date back to the 18th century, are beautifully preserved and are listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The windmills are well worth a visit! Follow the route along the Maas River up to Rotterdam, which is one of the largest ports in the world.
Departure from Rotterdam
After breakfast, it is time to disembark. Please do so before 9am. Journey home as organised by you.
The cycle paths along the route are in top quality. Most sections are paved or asphalted. They lead alongside the Rhine dikes and there are no noteworthy hills. This makes the trip suitable even for novice cyclists.
- Accomodation in outer cabins with shower/WC in the booked category
- Programme according to itinerary
- Welcome drink
- Full board (breakfast, packed lunch for cycle tours or lunch snack, coffee and tea in the afternoon, three-course dinner)
- Daily cleaning of the cabins
- Passenger and port fees
- Daily briefing on board for the respective cycle tour
- Tour guide on board
- 1 set of maps and information material per cabin
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Car park/parking garage - Globus-garage (secure, must be booked in advance) – approx. 6 km away from the pier in Cologne. Parking fee approx. €90 to €110 per week.
Minimum number of participants:
- Timetable and program are subject to change. At times of extreme flooding or low water the boat company is allowed to transport you by bus or to cancel the whole tour. There is no demand against that (water level is subject to force majeure clause). This is also the case for unforeseeable incidents like the reparation of a water gate/bridge or if the boat's engine were to breakdown.
- Please keep in mind that your boat is your hotel on the one hand and your motor driven transport on the other hand. It has to move on at night as well. If you are sensitive to noise please bring earplugs with you.
This tour has 5 more variants
MS Arlene II
The comfortable MS ARLENE II provides the right ambience to make you feel at ease. The ship is being completely refurbished and upgraded in the winter of 2017/2018.