Itinerary at a glance
Individual arrival in Strasbourg. Embarkation at 4:00 pm. On board, your captain, the crew and the tour manager will welcome you with a welcome drink.
After breakfast, you will have the possibility to visit Strasbourg, the capital of the Alsace, with its numerous channels, the Strasbourg Minster and the Tanners` Quarter with its small historic half-timbered houses. Enjoy a piece of French joie de vivre before you begin your first cycle tour. Cycle directly alongside the Rhine River through the gentle Rhine plain until you reach the Gambsheim lock where your ship already awaits you to set sail for Germersheim. While sailing, enjoy a glass of wine on deck or in the saloon recalling the first impressions of your journey.
Today’s cycle stretch leads along the oxbow lakes through seemingly unspoilt nature. Look forward to visiting the old fortified town of Germersheim with its many picturesque lanes, corners and squares. Continuing through the Palatinate land, you reach the cathedral city of Speyer. Speyer Cathedral was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1981.
Enjoy a short cycle ride alongside the Old Rhine, past marvelous lakes, through untouched protected areas designated as National Nature Reserves and natural flood plains. You reach Mannheim, also called the “City of Squares” due to its layout in a grid-pattern. In these squares, countless places are well worth visiting as for example the famous Mannheim Baroque Palace – German largest Baroque palace complex and the water tower – the city’s landmark.
Today the tour leads through the core of the Electoral Palatinate and thus partly along the Castle Road. Schwetzingen Palace and its palace garden are only two reasons to visit the charming town of Schwetzingen. From here, the route continues via Plankstadt and Eppelheim to Heidelberg. Already visible from afar, the castle ruin of Heidelberg Palaace towers over the Old Town. Admire the famous Heidelberg red sandstone bridge or stroll through meandering lanes and see the picturesque squares in the Old Town. The further way leads you on the other side of the Neckar via the Roman town Ladenburg back to Mannheim.
Today you leave Mannheim and drive past meadows and fields, following the course of the Rhine to the imperial city of Worms. On your journey through two millenniums of the city’s history, learn about emperors and kings, myths and legends of the Nibelung, Judaism and Martin Lutherr.
With almost 1,000 Hectare of viticultural area, Nierstein is home to the largest wine-growing community on the Rhine. The historic Old Town with its medieval market square and noble houses is also well worth visiting. A short stretch that leaves plenty of time for one to indulge oneself: cycle on the Rhine Cycle Route on well-paved cycle ways directly alongside the Rhine from Nierstein to Mainz. Guests, who would like to cycle a longer stretch, can also choose to start the cycle tour already in Worms. (cycle tour Worms-Mainz approx. 60 km).
After breakfast disembarkation until 09:00am. Individual journey home.
This bike tour runs along excellent cycle paths, which are usually asphalted. You even cycle along the Rhine dikes. Overall there are no noteworthy ascents. This makes the tour well-suited even for novice cyclists.
Prices and dates
Services & Information
Further details about this tour
- Seven nights in outside cabins with private facilities in the booked cabin category
- 7 nights stay in outside cabin with shower/WC in the booked category
- Programme according to itinerar
- Full board (7x breakfast, 6x packed lunch for cycle tours or lunch snack, 6x coffee and tea in the afternoon, 7x three-course dinner)
- Room cleaning every day, changing of towels and bed cloths as necessary
- GPS tracks
- All charges for harbours, bridges and locks
- Daily briefing on board for the respective cycle tour
- Tour guide on board
- Printed instructions and maps for daily individual bike tours (1 per cabin)
- Bring your own bike/electric bike: € 29,- (on request only, limited number)
- Strasbourg/Kehl main station is near the pier
- The parking garage "Gare Wodli" at the main station costs 20 € per 24 h (as of June 2023).
- Further important information according to the package travel law and additional information about your bike and boat trip can be found here!
- Minimum number of participants: 75
- This tour is a partner tour.