Itinerary at a glance
Individual arrival to Mainz. Embarkation at 4:00 p.m. There may be time to explore the capital of Rhineland-Palatinate with its lovingly restored half-timbered houses and the Romanesque Cathedral of Saint Martin.
A short cycle leg and plenty of time for one to indulge oneself: Cycle on the Rhine Cycle Route with its well-paved cycle ways directly alongside the Rhine to Nierstein. With almost 1,000 Hectare of viticulture area, Nierstein is home to the largest wine-growing community on the Rhine. Visit the historic Old Town with its medieval market square and the noble houses. In the afternoon, sail from Nierstein to Worms. Guests, who would like to cycle a longer stretch, can start the bike ride already in Mainz. (cycle tour Mainz-Worms approx. 60 km).
In the Imperial city of Worms, set off for today‘s cycle leg. Enjoy riding through vast fields and meadows. The beautiful cycle trail across the Friesenheim Island offers a high contrast to the opposite Rhine bank dominated by the BASF plant. A few kilometres further on, you will reach the confluence of the rivers Rhine and Neckar in Mannheim, where your ship will already be waiting for you. Make the most of the afternoon, and take a stroll through Mannheim, the City of Squares, up to the Baroque castle.
Today, follow the course of the marvellous Neckar River up to Heidelberg. The ancient Roman city of Ladenburg with its historic Old Town is worth a short stop-over. Visible already from afar, the ruin of the Heidelberg Palace towers over the Old Town. Stroll across the famous Heidelberg Sandstone Bridge, or through the winding lanes and charming squares of the Old Town. Your way back leads through the heart of the Electoral Palatinate along the Kurpfalzroute cycle way to Schwetzingen Palace. The palace garden is a perfect place for a short break before continuing along the Rhine Cycle Route to Mannheim, where you reach back to the buzzing city life.
Today's route goes past many oxbow lakes from the Old Rhine on the way to today’s destination – the cathedral city of Speyer. Enjoy the short bike ride past marvellous lakes, through unspoilt nature, areas that are designated Natural Nature Reserves and natural flood plains. The Speyer Cathedral was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1981.
Along the old Rhine ox-bow lakes cycle through the unspoilt nature of the Palatinate region. Look forward to visiting the old fortified city of Germersheim with its numerous quaint lanes, corners and squares. Enjoy the boat tour to Gambsheim while having a fine glass of wine on deck or in the saloon, replaying the events of the day.
On your last bike tour stretch, cycle in an easy pace directly alongside the river through the gentle Rhine plain until you reach the capital of the Alsace, the city of Strasbourg with its countless channels. Stroll to the Strasbourg Minster, the landmark of the city, through the picturesque Tanners’ Quarter with its small historic half-timbered houses and enjoy a piece of French joie de vivre while your journey slowly comes to an end.
After breakfast it is time to disembark. Please do so before 9am. Individual journey home.
This tour runs along good quality cycle routes, which are usually paved or asphalted. The paths run alongside the Rhine dikes and there are no noteworthy hills. This means that the cycle tour is even suitable for novices.
Prices and dates
Services & Information
Further details about this tour
- 7 nights in outside cabin with shower/WC in the booked category
- Programme according to itinerary
- Welcome drink
- Full board (7x breakfast, 6x packed lunch for cycle tours or lunch snack, 6x coffee and tea in the afternoon, 7x three-course dinner)
- Room cleaning every day, changing of towels and bed cloths as necessary
- All charges for harbours, bridges and locks
- Daily briefing on board for the respective cycle tour
- Tour guide on board
- Maps and information material 1x per cabin
- GPS tracks
- Bring your own bike/electric bike: € 29,- (on request only, limited number)
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Mainz station, approx. 3 km from the pier
- Car park at Mainz station (unguarded, cannot be booked in advance). Parking costs approx. EUR 55,- per week ( Stand June 2023)
- Further important information according to the package travel law and additional information about your bike and boat trip can be found here!
- Minimum number of participants
- This tour is a partner tour.
"I look forward to making your vacation dreams come true."