Sportive along river Danube
As you like it.
- 5 Days / 4 Nights
- Self-guided tour
Stroll through the pretty little baroque town of Schärding and marvel at the famous Silberzeile lane or take a walk through the “New Centre” of Passau, the three rivers town , which has been completely redesigned as a pedestrian, car-free area.
First, you will follow the river Inn to Passau where it joins the Danube and then you will cycle along the Danube towards Engelhartszell. Do not miss the opportunity to visit Engelhartszell abbey with its own liquor production. On your way to Linz you will come across the unique natural phenomenon - the “Schlögler Schlinge”, where the Danube has been forced to make a 180° turn. Once you have reached the European culture capital 2009, you can enjoy the lively historic old town, the scenic views of Linz from the Pöstlingberg or simply take a walk along the Danube.
You will leave Linz and cycle towards Strudengau and Nibelungengau. You will cycle past the Celtic village Mitterkirchen and just before the border between Upper and Lower Austria you will see the baroque town of Grein with Austria’s oldest city theatre and Greinburg castle. Then you will continue your journey to Maria Taferl and Melk. Here you should stop briefly and look up – otherwise you may miss out on seeing the beautiful Melk abbey, which towers above the Danube.
Today, you will leave Melk and cycle into the landscape of the Wachau region where you will be enchanted by the atmosphere of the typical fruit orchards and vineyards. Today, we will organise wine tasting for you, which is a must-do during a visit to the Wachau region. Refreshed, you will cycle past the wine towns of Spitz and Weißenkirchen as well as the ruins of Dürnstein castle. During the last kilometres of your bike tour you will cycle via the 1,000-year-old town of Krems and the Roman town of Tulln to the Danube metropolis of Vienna.
Flat or slightly downhill route along the Danube. Well-built bike path and almost the entire route is off-road. Minor roads make up only very short sections of this route – the Danube cycle path is a perfect bike route.
Category A: 4****-hotels or the best local hotels
Category B: 4****- and 3***-hotels
Category C: 3***-hotels and inns, at Linz and Vienna 4****-hotels
- Accommodation in your selected category
- Breakfast buffet or an extensive breakfast
- Welcome briefing (DE, EN)
- Luggage transfer between hotels
- EUROBIKE developed route
- Detailed travel information 1x per room (German, English, French) with route maps or overview maps, route description, tourist attractions, important telephone numbers
- 1x ferry ride (Au-Schlögen) incl. bike
- wine tasting in the Wachau region
- Danube Card in upper Austria
- GPS-data is available
- Service hotline
Arrival / Parking / Departure
- Schärding and Passau train station
- Munich and Vienna airport
- Schärding: Free public car park on the Eurobike premises directly on the cycle path.
- Passau: Public car park approx. €35per week, no reservation possible/necessary
- Return transfer with van from Vienna, daily in the afternoon. Costs €55 per person, bike included. Reservation necessary.
- Good train connections between Vienna and Schärding/Passau
Things to note
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price!
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!
Hotel Biedermeier Hof
Featuring free WiFi and a sun terrace, Hotel Biedermeier Hof offers pet-friendly accommodation in Schärding, 15 km from Bad Füssing. There is a bowling alley on site and guests can enjoy the on-site bar. Free private parking is available on site.